What's new

Same brand sub? (1 Viewer)

David Kel

Auditioning
I've read on a few threads here that when purchasing speakers for a HT that they should generally be the same brand so that they are all 'timbred' alike? Not sure I quite understand the concept, but does this also apply to the subwoofer? If I buy JBL speakers, do I need to necessarily spring for a JBL sub as well? Thanks for all the help you guys have provided so far :).

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
The sub is a different animal all together. The lower frequency of the sub doesn't equate to any problems when mixed with a different brand of speaker. When you hear the comment "timbre matched speakers" this is referring to a matched set of fronts and usually rears rears. That way as the sound moves across the sounstage all of the voices and sounds stay consistent and a roaring jet doesn't sound like a jet in one speaker and a lawn mower in the other. Any good quality sub will match well with most any system after setup and calibration. Hope this helps David.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
The timbre matched concept does not apply to the sub. You can get a great sub for around the $500-600 range. You may have already read some posts about the Adire Rava, HSU-VFT2, and the SVS 25-31PCi. Rocket is coming out with a sub in the $300 dollar range pretty soon. That might be a great option.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
As already stated, the kind of sub you buy does not need to be the same brand. In fact I have 2 subs hooked up to my system and they are both different brands. One PSB and one AAD sub. They sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks