What's new

Salvaging a bad purchase (1 Viewer)

ray_lowe

Auditioning
ok, ok, I bought a bose LifeStyle 25 II.

My excuse is that the place I am at now is small and I wanted a system quick. I knew what I was in for but didn't realize the full extent ...

My other system is BW2000 sub + BW301 speakers (surround) set up and I noticed huge difference in sound when I listened to bose.

yeah, no need for specs to tell mid range is missing plus the no subsonic sounds (almost inaudible in my BW Sub but kinda cool to feel it) ...

ok, my question is, is there anyway to modified my set up so I can make up for my bad purchase? I am not talking about fiddling with wires as I am electronically challenged (proved by purchasing bose).

Any parts where I can replace or expand on LS25II?

I realize LS25II is designed not to expand but has anyone found a creative way to get around that?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
See what kind of price you can get on ebay. :)
I've sometimes tried to live with components that I knew had problems. In the end, got rid of them and got what I should have in the 1st place. IMO, life's too short to put up with subpar components.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Ya dump that bastard on ebay.

The only 2 good things about Bose:

1)small
2)hold their value well

ray_lowe

Auditioning
But I only had it for a month :frowning:
First time I played it in my room I went "oh-oh this is not good" ...
That will be the most expensive piece of junk I have ever dumped!
shhh .. don't tell the people on eBay ok ... when they ask in the forum .. just say "yay" to Bose. :D

KyleS

Screenwriter
Like stated above you could sell it on Ebay for a pretty decent value. Then use that money to get some better quality system even with smaller speakers.

KyleS

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I concur, cut your losses now, and consider it a lesson learned. If you don't get what you really want, you'll just think about it more and more. At least that's the way it is w/ me.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
If you keep them there will be a mind drain and you could possibly bond with them and then there is no hope. I think all of use need to pray for Ray and guide him thru these murkey waters, we all make mistakes, I bet you don't make this one again.

ray_lowe

Auditioning
I am embarrassed to say Bose is not even my first purchase!!
Hi-Fi challenged I say!
I had BW300 surround and sub set up before (gave them to my folks when I moved out).
Can I use/convert the cubes for TV speakers ? the cubes should sound a bit better than my tv speakers I hope ...
may be that is wishful thinking too ....:frowning:

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Bose gets plenty of critism, but your situation points out a Bose downside that is not mentioned much. Because of the screwy bass management they use, sending mid bass to the "bass module", it makes incremental upgrading and recycling of components into other systems impossible. Your just going to have to sell the whole thing. People will pay insane prices for this stuff used, so if lucky you may only lose 20-30 % of purchase price.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
TV speakers: maybe. Does your TV have outs for left and right audio channels? (Some do, some don't.) But that would be an RCA connection, so somehow you still have to supply power.

Or, you could just run them from your VCR, and use the VCR to switch channels on the TV (leave the TV set at channel 3).

Again, you'd need a receiver or integrated amp or preamp/amp to run them through.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
1 month... call Bose and have them take it back. They have supposedly exceptional service. Did you get a "deal" on these? Why won't your store take it back or at least exchange it?

ray_lowe

Auditioning
i wish i can return it to the store.
but I dont live in the land of the free, the land where you can buy stuff and return it if you dont like it ...
and I have been to many countries and the states is the only place where you can do it without having to make up a lie ...
plus Bose here dont dare to offer the if you dont like it return it trial period ... it better to have unsatisfied customers than no customers ... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks