What's new

Is my RPTV toast? (1 Viewer)

Shelby-S

Auditioning
I have a 50" Mitsubishi RPTV. It's got a major problem though. Once turned on, it only stays on for about 5 minutes before it turns off. Then it can't be turned on again for a while (usually around 24 hours+). The TV was purchased in 1995, so it's pretty old.

Is this anything anyone has ever heard of? I ask because I don't really know where I would take it to have it serviced. And even if I did, it's a pain in the ass to carry it downstairs, and just as bad trying to haul it somewhere else (all I have access to is a small pickup). The TV isn't very good anyway, it's just big. :) I'm planning on getting a new one sometime anyway, so I'm just wondering if this thing is salvageable.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Service guys usually come to you when you have an rptv ... expect to pay $400-$500 which is the usual cost especially for old sets. Parts might not exist anymore
regards

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I just came back from a 4th of July BBQ at a family member. They have the same TV that you have and it looks dang awful. You actually get motion sickness when trying to watch anything on their TV. Anything is better then that thing.

They called the service guy to come out and take a look at it and to try to adjust the colors. The service guy wanted something like $1200 and left.

Not worth repairing. I just hope that they get a new set in time for the holidays.

It's that horrible.

StephenHa

Second Unit
wow my service guy was charging 50 bucks and our average repair was 200 bucks and people complained ( a service man may want to buy that tv from you too that's an easy fix relatively speaking)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks