Sad news: Big Country vocalist found dead.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Stirling, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Tony Stirling

Tony Stirling Stunt Coordinator

http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Musi...try/index.html
    This is sad... I remember the first time I listened to "In a Big Country." I enjoyed their stuff from the start. Any thought? They had a very distinct sound and a lot of energy. Not the finest band in the world, but certainly above most of the stuff one hears today.
    They will be missed.
    tony

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I always liked this band. Not too familiar with a lot of their music but really enjoyed the "In a Big Country" song.
    Too bad. [​IMG]

3. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Sad news indeed. I was a BIG fan of this group in the early 80's. I remember when they were a staple here in the Los Angeles area back in the day, as they were always frequently featured on KROQ as guests. They also played many small venues around here during their hey-day. "In a Big country" was a great song, but I also liked "Fields of fire" and "Wonderland." Yes, they did have a unique sound blend with the rock guitar and bagpipes. When I reflect back on the early 80's, this band will always be one the primary ones that will pop in my mind.
    R.C.[​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

[​IMG]

5. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I have been a fan of Big Country since the beginning - when I had to have their debut album because I was a big fan of the Skids.

Didn't know Stuart Adamson had all those problems.

He will be missed.

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I've also been a BC fan since the beginning and have collected pretty damned much all of their stuff over the years. They've remained one of my top 10 or so acts during that whole time. I can't say this news came as a shock; I'm on the official BC e-mail list, and they mentioned Stu had gone missing a few weeks back. Nonetheless, it remains upsetting for those of us who deeply cared for his music. Heck, even if one didn't like BC, it's still sad, but obviously those of us with an interest in the band got hit harder.

9/11, George, Stu... Isn't this f**king year done yet?

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    This is just a damn shame. It's a rare thing for a band to come up with a truly unique sound, but Adamson & his bandmates did exactly that with Big Country. I haven't listened to them much since the late 80s but I'll dust off some of those old discs this week.

R.I.P., Stu.

8. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Sad to hear. [​IMG]
    Jon

9. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Stunt Coordinator

I was very saddened to hear of Stuart Adamson's death when I caught the news late this afternoon. I've also been a huge fan since the beginning, collecting all their early 12" singles (through those from The Seer) and all of their studio and live albums that were never released over here. I even decided a couple of days ago to pick up the Greatest 12" Hits CD collection within the next week or so.
    Stuart will be missed, and it's too bad the band won't be the same without his contribution—if they decide to continue.
    Sigh...[​IMG]

10. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Though the band never was the same after their first three records (The Crossing, Steeltown, and The Seer), they were staples of my youth and I know I wore out a couple of the Steeltown cassettes from over-play.

What a crappy day.

11. Erling Pedersen

Erling Pedersen Auditioning

This is just terrible news. From Scared To Dance through The Seer is certainly a mighty fine legacy for any musician.

I remember he also went missing last year, but in an interview he made it sound like a big misunderstanding. At that time I thought that explanation didn't sound right, but I never imagined it was this bad.

RIP.

12. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Holy Crap! Just found this thread. One of my favorite bands from my youth. [​IMG]