What's new

SACD weak bass (1 Viewer)

JoshuaT

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all! I have a Yamaha RX-V3300 and a Pioneer SACD/DVD player. I have both analog & digital cables running inbetween the two, but when I play a SACD that bass is weeeeeeeaaaaak! My sub is M&K MX-200, and sounds fine with Dolby 5.1 and 2 channel sound. It just feels like a 15-20 dB drop in sub level when I go with the 6 channel input and a SACD.

Any ideas?

~josh

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Try doing some searches on this. The subwoofer signal from SACD players is something like 10 dB lower than that from DVD players. Some recievers will allow you to boost the LFE signal from multichannel sources to compensate for this.

Mark

Joe Road

Agent
I just got an ICBM because I was having the same problem, and it was a night and day difference. This is how my system should have sounded all along. :)

Joe Spratley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
test
If you are refering to the pioneer 563 there is a problem with the analog bass out. It has been discussed in a few threads. Great machine except for this annoyance. You might want to go into the speaker configuration in it and turn the bass up to +6 and the other speakers to 0. Still doesn't get it to the same level as the optical though.

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
The real issue can be with the receiver or the player (SACD is analog output only on many players ). Many receivers do not employ the bass management that is built in when you are using analog inputs ( > 2 channels) that are commonly used for SACD. The reason that the ICBM works is that it is an analog bass management system that restores the LFE cahnnel by providing a "sub out". Try this is your mains are large enough, ( and your reciever is set up like I think) ... make your speakers "large" in the setup menu and turn the LFE channel "off". If your speakers have decent response below 80HZ (typical crossover point), you may notice better bass than with your normal 5.1 setup. If so you need an ICBM to provide that function (5.1) and get your bass back or run your main speakers full range if they can handle it.

Plan "C" would be to get another sub and have each one crossed over to your L and R speakers using the subwoofers crossover ( including the high pass section)to essentially have full range speakers as your mains, then turn the LFE channel "off" (and reset your centers and surrounds to small). This will route all bass to your Left and Right "Full Range" speakers regardless of input.

It is too bad the equipment manufacturers don't tell you the whole story. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks