What's new

Yamaha BD-A1010 SACD lack of bass (1 Viewer)

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I purchased the BD-A1010 bluray player for my system because I wanted a unit that could produce outstanding video and audio specifically for SACDs and DVD-audio The player plays SACDs just fine they sound great in fact except I have to turn my subwoofer almost all the way up to get any bass during playback but it also sounds as tho there is a low pass filter setting or something because there is virtually no bass below (80hz or so) I know that there should be bass notes because I can compare to my older sacd player which was a pioneer I did not notice this issue with my system: Yamaha BA-A1010 SACD Player Yamaha HTR-5590 JBL studio series 12" sub the player is connected to the receivers 6CH input with monster analog cables, the subwoofer is connected to the receiver via sub out with a single sub cable. the output to the sub on multichannel sacd is minimal and sounds weak with no low bass ____________________________________________________________________________________ the yamaha bluray replaced my old pioneer sacd player in which I did not notice this issue there was still low bass and no cutoff is it possible there is a setting I'm missing in the setup menu? I have played with the settings for controlling the individual size of the speakers making them small vs large, and also making sure the level for the subwoofer was at max (0 dB) I love this player the video is great and sound for movies is outstanding I just don't understand why the bass is lacking or cutoff or filtered sounding I expected this to be better performing than the $200 pioneer I replaced. thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 1010 must have a fixed crossover because I didn't see a way to change it in the manual. Make sure SACD Priority is set to Multi-ch and not 2-ch. Just to be safe, set the HDMI Audio Output to Off. That's all I can think of at the moment. BTW, what Pioneer SACD player did you have?

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
thanks Gene sorry for late reply been busy at work. The model for the pioneer is dv-563A also I do have those settings that way SACD priority: multi-ch HDMI audio output is off like I said I also tried changing the speaker size from large to small and no change, I don't think it would matter on my receiver but I can play with those as well but I'm thinking it shouldn't need changed with how I had it set for my pioneer.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Another thing you can try, but be carefull doing this, is to plug the subwoofer output from the dvd player straight to the subwoofer and see what happens. Since the receiver isn't doing any bass management from the multi-channel inputs the signal should be passing through the receiver un-touched. I'm sure you have already checked the subwoofer volume on the receiver?

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
You know i was thinking about doing that the only thing is vol control unless the sub just stays at max vol I just wonder maybe the output from the sacd player analogs is weak i noticed that the trim on the yamaha goes to 0dB however my old pioneer actually went to positives -10 to +10 dB or something like that it must give a better voltage boost Maybe my inputs on the receiver have some strange drop so many possibilities but it seems like something that just is the way it is

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There should be a volume (or Gain) control on the back of the sub that you could use to adjust the bass volume. When SACD/DVD-A first appeared on the scene there was an issue with the bass signal being 10 db softer then the other channels. This was corrected on most machines or receivers by a combination of increasing the volume of the subwoofer output or reducing the volume of the other speakers by a total of 10 db. So as an example you would increase the Subwoofer output to + 5 and reduce all the other channels by - 5. Some newer receivers actually had a setting in the Audio setup menu to increase the subwoofer signal to the MC input by 10 db. Maybe it's time for a new receiver? SACD/DVD-A works very well through HDMI :) .

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
you make a good point thats all good things to consider. I have thought about a newer receiver since I'm not even getting the newer audio formats on the bluray anyway (dts master and dolby digital true hd or whatever) thanks and for a trial I could take down the level on all my speakers and see how that sounds with the sub all the way up

woojianxi

Auditioning
Real Name
woojianxi
Since the receiver isn't doing any bass management from the multi-channel inputs the signal should be passing through the receiver un-touched. I'm sure you have already checked the subwoofer volume on the Free shipping cheap Ad receiver?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks