What's new

SACD player decision... (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I already have DVD-A, so I wanted to give SACD a shot. So I ordered the ce775 for $169.99. The competion was the c222es @ $379. I compared them both on SACD and I couldn't tell the difference. As for Redbook I'll be using my recievers DAC.....but using the two channel analog there was maybe a slight edge for the ES, but not $210 of a difference. I know the ES is built better and feels better but, I play music mostly one or twice a week and I think I'll be bying more multichannel music as time progresses. I'm using MID-FI components for playback (ONKYO/POLK) so I don't think I was going to benefit that much from the ES sound.....And with the money saved I need to buy the switch boxes to use both dvd-a and SACD formats and also more cables !!!....

Side note:
One of the sales guys at circuit city told me they were going to put a new SACD machine in the SONY display they have , but he didn't know the model #. He did say it was going to be a CD/SACD player and he couldn't sell me the ce775 display until the new model arrived this week 10/21.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The CE775 is a fine player. I've been listening to multi-ch sacd's all week and they sound great on this player.

I think the 775 is a great stop-gap player for the time being till this format war shakes out.

Or a solid combo player emerges at the right price.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying my SACD's and DVDA's.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, I am curious, but what equipment did you use for the comparison of the 'CE775 and 'C222ES? I am not asking to question the validity of your claims. When I compared the two players at a Tweeter store with B&K stereo separates and Sonus Faber Concerto speakers, I found SACD to be close on the two players, with the edge going to the 'C222ES (greater separation and detail). However, CD playback was more disparate. The 'CE775 sounded flat to my ears. That is just my view. Regardless, the 'CE775 is a very good deal at $169.

The information you got at Circuit City about a new SACD demo component has me really intrigued. I have heard nothing about a new player coming from Sony.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Keith, I heard the c222es at a 6ave store with a Diana Krall CD I use as refrence (Denon 4802 and Def Tech towers)then I went to one of the sound rooms at Circuit City using a Onkyo/Polk combo similar to what I have at home...I agree with you when it comes to CD performance on the ES, but with this format battle going on and not knowing what the future will bring in this format I didn't want to invest in a CD player that wasn't head and shoulders above the lower end one (ce775). For a total of $286 I have a DVD-A($117 panny ra60) and a SACD player($169 sony ce775) to hold me off until the "REAL STUFF" comes along I say in the next year or so...;)...One thing that has caught my attention is how different profesional and personal reviewers rate the redbook performance of the ce775. Some say it's flat and some think it's pretty good. In my opinion it holds its own but nothing to give you goose bumps like an old Pioneer Elite player my dad had a while back...I think it competes very well against redbook players in the $250 range (like my old Marantz cc3000).
In reference to the "new" sacd player at Circuit City, I tried to do research on it and I couldn't come up with any news on it. I'll stop by circuit city and talk to the AUDIO manager to see if he knows a bit more details of this new unit...

Chriss M

Second Unit
which circuit city wouldnt sell you the demo CE775? Im just curious because i just bought the demo 775 at the Paramus NJ CC the other day.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, O.K. It is very difficult to compare components when listening in different stores, but in the end, if you are happy with the 'CE775 in your system, that is all that matters. Let us know how it works for you at home. Out of curiosity, where did you order the 'CE775 from?

If you find out anything more at Circuit City, please do let us know. I don't suppose they are finally getting in the Sony DVP-NS755V DVD/SACD player. I haven't seen it there (or at Best Buy), though I haven't really gone looking for it too often. A The Wiz store near Princeton had the 'NS755V before it closed down, so I could see Best Buy and Circuit City getting it in.

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator

What's taking them so long. I've already modified a 755V for a customer. It's a nice player, a refined 500V essentially. In my opinion easier to work on. Sounds good, too. However, it still isn't as nice as my modified 222ES.

KeithH: You're going to love this! I bought a 555ES on Saturday, and will have it by the end of the week. With so many requests to modify one, I just had to get it. Besides, I had this interest to see what you like in it so much. I look forward to hearing my lowly modified CE775 cream it.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Chris, it was the CC in Freehold, NJ....(I just think they didn't want to go through the hassle of taking it apart from the display).
Keith, I purchased it from musiciansfriend.com $169.99. They had 19 in stock as of friday....I do agree on how difficult it is to compare two units in different locations.
As for what's the new player at CC, I have a feeling it's going to be a sacd/dvd changer, even though he said it was going to be a cd/sacd player. The CC by me is full of high school kids who are more into video games than Audio components....I do most of my shopping at J and R for that reason..
:emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, nice job tracking down a 'CE775. I am not familiar with musiciansfriend.com.

As for Circuit City, I would certainly take comments from their typical salespeople with a grain of salt. They could be full of it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, let us know what you think of the 'C555ES. Are you planning to modify it? If so, how? Perhaps you won't be able to say until you get a look under the hood of the 'C555ES.
I would be interested in your unbiased view on how the stock 'C555ES compares to your modded 'CE775. If the modded 'CE775 does sound better to your ears, the 'C555ES could still cream it. Set the 'C555ES on top of the 'CE775. The 'CE775 won't be able to support the weight of the 'C555ES. That will be the end of the 'CE775. ;)

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator
I'll give it to you, but I guess it will take a few hundred hous for the triple-nickel to burn in, and by then I should have my AuriCaps all finished up in my preamp. Then I'll be set to evaluate.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
CC is "getting" a new update to their SACD SONY music display. They "are" selling the cd players and receivers from that endcap. The new player will be a dvd/cd player. I'm still hoping to hear news of a cd only player. The SOny dvpns500 is a single disk cd/dvd/sacd player that does no format well. I always thought the sony 775 was the best sounding redbook cd player in the audio section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks