What's new

SACD issues with certain discs? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anyone having issues with specific discs? At first I thought it was my Denon 2900 that was having the problem, mainly with one disc - Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral SACD on the SACD layer m/c track, but I was recently listening to it on my Sony 222ES and I had the same problem with this disc and the 2ch SACD track. They will play the first track, but as the tracks progress, it has what sounds like skips where the player drops out the sound briefly and then comes back. As the tracks progress the issue becomes worse and worse until it won't play at all. Then I thought it might be a bad disc until I had the same thing happen with my Vince Gauraldi Trio SACD also. The weird thing is, it doesn't seem to happen on any other discs... Anyone with a similar issue or does anyone know if it is something about these discs in particular?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have the NiN disc, and haven't had any problems with it. Pio 59AVi. If I have a chance, I'll give it a spin over the weekend, just to make sure it's not something like the disc going bad over time (SACD rot? :) ).

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mine is OK. You might want to take a good look at the disc just to see if you can see anything. A bad batch? But ... SACDs are made with gold, not Al, and gold doesn't oxidize or corrode like Al can.

I had forgotten how good the mix is. I wish he'd do the rest of them.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I had problems on a few hybrid discs (Peter Gabriel III, Cecilia Bartoli Gluck, Tommy, GBYBR) when my original Sony NS755 was about two years old. Since I've been using a Pioneer 59AVi, I've had no problems with any discs.

I suspect that the discs might have developed small flaws or scratches that a well-aligned laser can handle, but if your laser gets out-of-alignment, it starts to balk at those small flaws.

Doug

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are definitely no visible flaws on either disc, and both have only been played a few times. I don't have problems with other hybrids, and the CD layers play fine on these guys in these and other players, that's the sort of thing that throws me. Thanks guys.

Kevin, Trent is supposedly working on some of the others to be released soon, but because there is a problem over the rights to PHM, that one may never get done. The mix on the With Teeth DVD-A is very good too. I may just have to pick up TDS on DVD-A to hear M/C for now.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Doug, the NIN has the same problem on my 222ES. I haven't tried it in any other players besides those two, but they are different enough that I would expect that lets the 2900 off the hook as being the source of the problem.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I have Peter Gabriel 3 and mine is a single layer SACD. It always played fine in my Samsung DVD-HD950 but wouldn't play in my Samsung DVD-HD841 until I cleaned the disc and it now plays fine in both. I couldn't see anything on the disc at all but tried cleaning just as a lark and it worked to my surprise.

Chris

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I've owned a bunch of players and they all seem to have some little quirks. The more formats something plays usually translates into more quirks. I've cleaned the lens and gotten discs to play that would not or would not properly play. I've also have a static charge eliminator (I got from Maple Shade Records) and that has helped several times as well. The static charge eliminator also helped with a CD-RW disc a PC would not read at one point.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Duh. After I sent that question, I re-read your original post which already answered my question. I guess I don't follow my own advice to my daughter about reading the chapter again carefully before doing the homework.

Thanks for being so gentle on me.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have not had any problems so far with ether player. I own a Sony DVP-S9000 ES Sony and a Denon DVD-2200 and they both have worked flawlessly so far.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had a 2200 previously and it did not have a problem with the NIN disc. I didn't try the Vince Gauraldi disc at the time. Going to try to exchange the NIN for another one and see if I have the same problem.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Was just listening to the disc and realized I didn't follow up on this one - I took the NIN disc back and exchanged it for a new one and all is well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd guess it was a bad batch too, otherwise it would be a more widespread issue. I bought mine the day it came out, and the girl who took it in said she's had customers with other titles that had the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks