What's new

S312II or ND310II's? (1 Viewer)

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm a newbie in this. I was hearing this guys at a local dealer today, so I decided to buy a pair of towers for my main speakers. I like better the ND310II's but when I got home I realized that those are the old model so are the S312II's any better since they are the new model? They didn't sound for me. Any other with better ear than me around? Then for the rear ones I planned to buy some S38II's or S36II's still to decide too. Any ideas please? I actually want to go with the JBL's, I loved their sound, but is very difficult to decide which ones.
Can anybody guide me with this please? I will be using this setup for 50% music, that's why I loved the towers since I guess with the receiver I'll buy I can only put those to work when I want to hear music. Am I correct in this?

Thanks for any help!!!

Laszlo

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Yeah, you can listen to 2 channel music with just the floor standing.

I would say the S312ii (Studio) is alot better than the ND310ii (Northridge). It has a better tweeter, deeper bass extension, and better sound quality. The size is bigger and has a 12" driver but it's not that much more money I'd say go for it.

As for the rears, I'd save some money and perhaps get the S26II.

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
Hellooooo!!!!!!!
What about the S36?? Did anybody hear them? I'm in between those and the S38's for the rear.
Please any help will be very appreciated.

Laszlo

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Both the S36 and the S38 would be great for the rear, but the S38 is probably overkill (not to mention difficult to mount). Take the S36 and spend the money you've saved on DVDs.

--AM

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
Hey thanks for the answer I'll probably do that, but the S38II's are very tempting. They are only $40 diference from the S36II's. What about the S26II's? This is the problem I have: because I don't have enough distance between the couch and the TV I have my it positioned at a corner of the room so I have a sectional sofa on the other corner of the room. Now how should I mount my rear speakers? They will be mounted on two diferent walls so should I mount them flat on the rear walls where the sectional is positioned or maybe mount them on the same wall but a turned them a liitle bit over facing the sectional?

Thanks again

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
You may have to audition them at home to tell. The Northridges sounded better to me in the store but I didn't like them at home at all. The S312s that didn't sound as good in the store sounded wonderful at home & I'm exceedingly happy with them.

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
That happend to me too, the ND310II's sounded beatifull at the store but the S312IIs sounded awfully ther.

Laszlo

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mark what is the distance you have in between the towers? I'm still not deciding if to get those or the S38II's. I have the TV srcreen width in between if I want to put those so I don't know what to do yet.

Laszlo

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have S310's in front and S38's in the back. I really considered S38's all around. The biggest problem with the S38 is where to put them. I have them on 36" stands right now but they're a little wobbly. I'd like to build some shelves and put them up high on the side walls.

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
what is the distance between you S310's??
Thanks all that answered to me into this thread.

Laszlo

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
In the manual for the S310, S312, and S38 etc it says to form a 40-60 degree angle between the listener and the 2 speakers.

I tend to like the formation of an equilateral triangle with the speakers tweeters pointed directly at the listener.

So if you sit about 10 feet away from each of the speakers then space the speakers about 8-10 feet.

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmm, I only have 6 feet center from speaker to center of the other speaker. I'm still trying to decide between two S312II's and two S36II's or four S36II's.

Laszlo

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I have my S312s pretty much adjacent to each side of my Tosh 65H80. According to the specs from the Toshiba site, the set is 59 1/2" wide, so figure the speakers are about 62 or 63 inches apart. They're toed in very slightly. I've got the S-center sitting on top of the set, which is up 61" off the floor. Probably not quite optimal, but space issues don't allow for any other arrangement. It sounds great, though. Completely seamless integration.

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
Hey thanks from your comments Mark. How far you sit from the TV? Do you use a sub too? That's almost my setup, I have a mitsubishi 55" and if I go for the towers they will go on its side.

Laszlo

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I generally sit about 7' from the set. I use an SVS 16-46 PCi (in the right corner) and couldn't be happier. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks