JBL Northridge vd Studio series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KwongC, Aug 9, 2002.

1. KwongC

KwongC Agent

I'm new to the forum and am looking for speakers for my home theater. What is the difference between JBL's northridge series speakers and the Studio series speakers (from their website I see that there are no 12" towers available in the Northridge series although both over 10" towers).

Also, I was at Best Buy sampling the S312II and the N310II and quite honestly, I felt the N310II sounded better, the S312II is powerful no doubt, but the mid and highs were a little bit too bright and "in your face". THe mids and highs in the N310II were a little warmer and friendlier, it also sounded more "set-back" like the sound was coming from further behind the speaker (if that makes any sense)

Finally, I was wondering if the Northridge and Studio line speakers were compatible. For instance, if I wanted to get the ND310II towers for front L&R channels and get Studio series center and surround channels.

Thanks!

2. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 2802 with a JBL S-Series Surround setup. S412p's(mains), S-Center, S26's(rear surrounds), L1(rear center), DIY Tempest Sonosub(tuned to 16.5hz). The main difference I think is that the North series are plastic enclosures where as the S series is MDF. I listened to both also and I liked the 4-way S412 design better, easier transition compared to even the S312. As for the rears I am well pleased with the S26's. It took me over 2 years to build mine the way I like it to sound. Invest now wisely! My 2 cents.