S-Video input problem?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Lane_B, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Lane_B

Lane_B Auditioning

Hey, thanks for any help. My "problem". I have a an old 35" Mitsubishi TV (CS355503) w/o component inputs. The picture is fine with input from the coax or composite but if I use S-Video the actual "dots" on the screen seem so defined that they give it kind of a blocky pixelated look that is quite ugly. This happens with any source that has S-Video out. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Have you tried a different cable? Check the connections for corrosion also.

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Hello Lane,

Welcome to the forum!

That sounds like a strange phenomenon indeed. If you checked the cable already, it may also be your TV of course. The S-Video circuit could be defective, but perhaps it's less complicated: the setting of your TV set.

Did you check that already? It could be the "sharpness" setting of your TV. Most TV's, especially older ones and when "calibrated" for home use have their settings wrong for DVD use (to much Brightness and too Sharp - whatever this latter one is called).

Try changing the settings through your remote.

Cees

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Almost all of the S-video circuits are used by the composite inputs also. Almost all of the composite and S_video circuits are used by the video signals coming from the antenna coax input and NTSC tuner.

You may have interference problems. Try removing all other cables from the back of the TV and then try your S-video input.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm