What's new

S Video cable question. thank you for replying (1 Viewer)

Sarah Lynn

Auditioning
Ok. I am a newbie to this forum and also new to home theatre but I went out to a purchase a new Sony KV-36XBR450 "36" HDTV Television and a Sony Progessive Scan DVD player to go along with it.

My question is.. Will I notice the difference between the 50.00 dollar S Video cable at bettercable.com or the $30.00 cable from Monster. Or should I save some money and buy the Acoustic Research HT121 Gold S-Video cable for $14.99 at Amazon.com.

Does anyone here use the cables from bettercables.com. Of course I want the best.. But I don't want to spend an extra 30 or 40 dollars to see and hear the same quailty from a $14.00 dollar cable.

Thank you,

-Sarah

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Sarah.
And now for your question: Since you've purchased a very sophisticated TV and a prog-scan player (Sony 700?), you might want to skip with the S-Video cable altogether. Go for component video cables. And Monster makes good component-video cables.
Your WEGA will be glad you selected component-video cables!

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I'll second skipping the s video in favor of component cables. You'll be a lot happier with the picture. You may also want to get a copy of the Sound and Vision tune up disc to set your picture. It's easy for beginners to use and will give noticeable results.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Sarah, welcome,

I'll echo what's been said as well... if your going to use the progressive out capability, you need to do it via component cable. Svideo only works via interlaced output.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Like chip said if you want to use progressive scan you must use component cables. These can simply be three seperate 75 ohm video cables or something fancier from some of the online sites like Link Removed,www.bettercables.com,http://www.accessories4less.com/purchfaq.asp[/url] or even ones from Radio Shack. For the budget side I'd recomend AR cables since they offer good quality at decent prices. For higher end cables a lot of people really like the silver based cables from catcables and bettercables.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Sarah: I agree with all the above replies. To take advantage of the DVD player's progressive output, you must use the component connections between the DVD and the TV.

I have a friend who bought the 36" XBR and a Sony progressive player (the 700 model) a couple of months ago. It is truly an outstanding combo and looks great.

When he bought his stuff, we went through the myriad of options that both units have and narrowed them down to the ones that seemed to produce the best overall picture.

Drop me an e-mail if you have any questions as you set yours up. I'd be happy to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks