What's new

Component Video Gaming (1 Viewer)

Ritchie T

Agent
Sorry for posting this up in another forum, but my questions is kind of a mix of video gaming and HDTV. Im not really sure where I can get the right answer because of all the forums. So here goes:

I posted this accidentally on the Software forum, so hopefully I can get some replies from here,

Alrite, I just got Monster's 400x Component cables hooked up to my Sony 40xbr700. Im finally using my component inputs.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...ou0sFhT&Dept=tv

but last years model. But I got a few questions, not sure if this should be in video games or some other forum.

Well I only got 3 games, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, and Mechassualt, no Dragons Lair. So I guess the best I would get is 480p. Im guessing my tv is HDTV-Ready, and it doesnt have the HDTV tuner built in. So I was wondering, am I getting HD? Or do I need a tuner just to recieve that from my xbox? And will I only be getting true HD from a 1080i game? Im also guessing the tuner is only for broadcast channels.

I tried playing ghost recon, and to me it looks like the red is bluring out a little (this is during the loading screen, when it shows the emblem of elite,veteran, etc. difficulity level). Other than that, everything seems alrite. But the thing is that I really dont notice too much of a difference than my older monster 300x s-video cable.

And for anyone with a Sony, what setting do you set your tv to when playing? Pro? Standard? Etc. And do you use the enhanced 16x9? Also, should I set my tv for standard, widescreen, or letterbox for the xbox? Im really just looking for advice to put my tv and cables to better use.

Another questions is about a seperate DVD player I have. Its an older panasonic with progressive scan. I also have that hooked up with component cables (AR MS291). I really do not see too much of a difference than my older s-video cables. Anything I should do to enhance my viewing experience?

and by the way, I do not have my TV calibrated. So besides doing that, any other tips on what I should do?

Thanks!

Jon Sciabica

Agent
well, no games currently out do true HD 1080i. Secondly you don't need an HDTV Tuner to view your games in 480p or 720p for that matter. However the picture is only going to be as good as the game produces. In a game like Ghost Recon, with muddy textures, you may not notice as much of a difference as a game like Halo. Some games support progressive scan and some dont, some support widescreen and some don't. So i guess you setting on you TV would depend on the game, however im not familiar with the widescreen/letterbox/standard setting for that TV but you would want standard for games that dont support widescreen and either widescreen or letter box for those that do i guess.

About your DVD player, I have a Panasonic and you need to be sure that Progressive scan is enabled. Of course, in the end, it is much easier to notice the difference between progressive and non-progressive signals on sets closer to 50 inches in my opinion.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
sup peeps/....

i have my gamecube hook up will component cables and i do knowtic a big diff..... you should knowtic a diff to with the xbox unless like jon said...the game dont support it...but i think most xbox games would.... theres a way to enable and disable progresive scan on the gamecube so there should be a way to enable it on the xbox... i do have an xbox but i dont use component on it so i dont know.

Make sure you boot up your X-Box with no disc in it to get to the control panel. You need to set the video to "digital" and enable the modes that your television supports. Same for audio if you're using digital audio.

Ritchie T

Agent
sup, I already have to setup to 480p and 1080i. I might just have to try out Halo, even though Im not really a big fan of the game. I might also try out DOA 3.

thanks yall

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
THSP4, World Series Baseball 2K3, Street Hoops, and NBA2K3 are both 720p.

You should check out DOA Volleyball, it looks great.

Ritchie T

Agent
Oh ya, my TV doesnt support 720p. So if I do play WSB2k3 or any other 720p game, will my tv (40xbr700) upconvert to 1080i or downvert to 480p? Will I still be stuck with seeing the game at 480p?

thanks

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator

From what Cnet says it does not even accept 720p sources. Which with the high price tag I find odd. It should accept them and, more then likely down convert, or up convert it. The only real way to find out is rent a game that supports 720p then go into your Xbox dash and turn all other modes off except 720p. Link to Cnets review.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please don't post the same question in multiple forums. Now I have to go track down the other one.

Of course the big WEGA is HD-capable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks