What's new

S-VHS advice (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Hi. I'm in the process of replacing some of my home's old VCRs. I just bought a JVC HR-S3910U which is used mainly for playing tapes and I need another VCR that will be used mainly for recording. Both VCRs are subject to pretty heavy use.

I was wondering if I should get another 3910, Panasonic PV-VS4821-K, or shell out the bucks for a JVC 7800. Is it better to have the same brand of VCRS or same unit throughout the house?

Just a note that we usually record tapes on normal VHS tapes in EP mode. Can't help it. My family just has too much to tape. So in our situation which VCR would be best?

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Upgrading to the upper end JVC's does yield a definite increase in image quality. If you do that, it will be a purchase you will definitely be happ to have chosen instead of a lesser unit. This is particulary true with displays over 40 inches in size.
If you are looking for more convenient recording and time shifting function, I VERY STRONGLY suggest you get a PVR like TiVo. Our unit has completely revolutionized and made more convenient all television viewing. I can't imagine going back to the dark ages without a PVR. It is a quantum leap like going from a bicycle to an plane While you own a bike (VCR) you might imagine how much easier and faster a taxiing plane will get you to the ice cream parlor, but once you own a real plane (TiVo) you realize that your horizons have been raised a great deal. A TiVo is not just a faster bicycle. It is something which does much more. The cost is TOTALLY worth it.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Aack! I just noticed the Canada portion of your sig. I might have to back off on the PVR a bit as I don't know if the subscription guide data will work for you.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your response Guy. No I think I read about Tivo units not working. Only Expressvu offers a personal recorder here as of now I think. And are recorded tapes move between 3 VCRs.
Now back to my original question. Thanks :)

Frank Bambarola

Auditioning
Howard,

Any of the JVC SuperVHS decks would be a good choice IMO. Staying with the same manufacturer may, and I say may, be advisable for consistency during playback (the way the tape wraps around the drum, etc.) but then again manufacturing tolerances could negate that argument. Purchasing a SVHS unit allows you the option of viewing tapes with greater resolution. On a large screen using s outputs, the difference is noticeable.

I agree with Guy in that a HD drive based format is the preferred way to store and review home recorded images.

Good luck with your choice.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Howard, I'd advise you to get one of the better JVC's, 7800/7900/9800/9900, to do the recording with. I have a 3500, which is more or less the same as the 3910 but several years older. It plays back better than it records, which is a premise I would state about a great many inexpensive VCRs.
Since you use EP so much, that furthers the need for a better VCR. My 7500 and 9800 make credible EP recordings. But, I recently bought some T-180 tapes and have vowed to never use the EP function again. Get one of the better JVC's with digital TBC (time base correction) to make your recordings with. Best wishes!

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
So there's a difference in recording quality between the 7800 and 3910 on EP mode?

Okay between the Panasonic SVHS and the JVC 3910 which one would you choose?

I'm very tempted to upgrade all my VCRs just for the sake of the Svideo connection but I don't use the VCR in my HT much. Is it still worth the upgrade for the sake of better cable TV image?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I think I'd avoid the Panasonic 4821 or 4820 models. I think their ergonoics are poor and they're budjet S-VHS models same as the 3910. The 7800 will record better in EP or SP either one. The 7800 has digital TBC and a flying erase head for smooth edit points on recordings. The 3910 is a plain jane VCR that is capable of S-VHS. The 7800 is a really above average VCR and the next best thing to the 9800.
The 9800 has only a few advantages on the 7800 which are:
twice as much DSP for TBC 4mb vs. 2mb, the extra DSP is most helpful for camcorder tapes or worn or old tapes.
the anti-ghousting tuner, defeatable, which helps clean-up OTA sgnals or poor looking cable service.
the 9800 has a J-type edit control jack that can be used with edit controllers or for PC control.
Mitsu had a model last year that was roughly equivalent to the 7800, sorry I forgot it's model #. I would suggest one of the TBC models for your main recording VCR. For any other TV's, slap a 3910 on them. Best wishes!

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the advice Rachael B. I have a feeling that the 7800 will be more than what I'm willing to spend on a VCR but your advice was most helpful. Now I just have to decide whether it's worth upgrading the existing VCR in my HT which isn't being used often just so I can improve my TV reception.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks