What's new

Looking for advice on hooking up a Panasonic DMR –ES46V (1 Viewer)

NaperBob

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Just purchased a DMR –ES46V. It is my intent to utilize it for recording from my DVR and to copy VHS tapes. I don’t believe I will ever record directly from cable. I would appreciate anyone’s suggestions on the best way to hook my system which is as follows:

Panasonic DMR – 46V

Inputs
RF (Cable)
S – Video
Video
Audio L/R

Outputs
DVD/VHS Common - Video
VHS Common – Audio L/R
DVD Priority – S Video
DVD Priority – Video
DVD Priority – audio L/R
Component Video
Optical Digital audio
HDMI

Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR

Inputs
Cable

Outputs
Component Video
Composite Audio/Video
Audio L/R
Digital Audio (RCA cable)
Optical Digital audio
S-Video
HDMI

Yamaha HTR- 5830 AV receiver

Inputs
Digital coax
Optical Audio (Cable)
Optical Audio (DVD)
6 channel input
Composite Video & audio for
DVD
Cable
V – Aux
VCR
Component Video – DVD
Component Video - Cable

Outputs
VCR Composite – Video
Component video

Samsung HL-R4667W

Inputs:
Ant 1 Cable
Ant 2 Air
DVI L/R
S Vid 1
S Vid 2
Video 1
Video 2
Audio 1 L/R
Audio 2 L/R
Component Video 1
Component Video 2
Audio 1 L/R
Audio 2 L/R
HDMI

Output
Video
Audio L/R
Optical Digital audio

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
On the main forum page this thread's title is truncated to "Looking for advice on hooking..."

I really wondered what I was going to find here. ;) (And why it wasn't in "After Hours")

Regards,

Joe

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I too have little to no interest in recording directly off my cable. Here's what I did using a Motorola DCT6412 III HD DVR, Sony STR-K7000 AV Receiver (AVR), Sony DVP-NC85H upconverting DVD player (DVDP), Samsung DVD-VR330 combo DVD/VCR recorder (DVDR) and a Samsung HL-S5086W (HDTV).

BASIC
HD DVR --> HDMI --> AVR (VIDEO 2)
HD DVR --> Digital Audio (optical) --> AVR (VIDEO 2)
DVDP --> HDMI --> AVR (DVD)
DVDP --> Digital Audio (coax) --> AVR (DVD)
AVR (MONITOR OUT) --> HDMI --> HDTV (HDMI 1)

With this set up, the AVR does all the audio and video switching (VIDEO 2 DVD). BTW, the separate audio hook ups are needed because my AVR only does HDMI pass through (doesn't process HDMI signals).

RECORDING FROM HD DVR
HD DVR --> S-Video --> DVDR
HD DVR --> Stereo Audio (Red/White) --> DVDR
DVDR --> Component Video --> HDTV (Component 1)
DVDR --> Stereo Audio (Red/White) --> AV Receiver (VIDEO 1)
DVDR --> Digital Audio (optical) --> AV Receiver (VIDEO 1)

With this set up, I have to switch from VIDEO 2 to VIDEO 1 on the AVR for audio and switch from HDMI 1 to Component 1 on the HDTV for video so that I can view the VR330 menu for recording set up, editing, finalizing, etc. and to monitor the recording if I want.

A few final things about my set up as regards recording from the HD DVR:
1) The Motorola DCT6412 III outputs 480i video via S-Video simultaneously with HDMI.
2) On the DVD-VR330, the output from both the VCR and DVDR can be through the same component video output (not simultaneously, of course) so there's no need for separate DVDR and VCR video output hook ups to the HDTV.
3) Although I use the upconverting Sony DVP-NC85H as my primary DVD player, I included the Digital Audio (optical) connection between the DVD-VR330 and the AVR in case I wanted/needed to play a DVD that had DD 5.1 or DTS on the VR330.
4) If I ever decide that I want/need to record from the cable, I'll use a splitter on the coax cable coming out of the wall - one leg to HD DVR, one leg to VR330.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I may try to record off HD cable just to see how well it works with the SVIDEO input. My HD cable is getting installed next week.

This unit will record both VHS and DVD so it would be interesting to compare the quality of both. I suspect the tape will do just fine but will limit the playback to my main setup in the family room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks