What's new

S&V tests the Denon 3805 (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor

That is exceptional performance for this class range.

Denon exceeding their own ratings being they rated it 120 watts/channel with "2" channels driven, NOT 5 CHANNELS DRIVEN. There's only a few receiver makers that rate with all channels driven, HK and NAD are two. Most others rate wattage figures for all channels but when only "2" are driven. Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha are 3 that rate this way. So by no means did Denon not meet it's ratings, but it EXCEEDED it's ratings.

S&V rates at .3% THD as seen in their test explanations posted by a member in this thread. It's not nearly 1%. Stereophiles Guide to HT, HT magazine and S&V all rate power at 1Khz so full rated bandwidth ratings are a pipe dream unless you go with a questionable online or foreign review test.

Regardless, even these 3 magazines seem to oppose the other when reviewing the exact same receivers. I've seen this over the years where the differences were only about 10-20 watts. Presently the differences jumped to 50 or more watts so going by tests is not an end all in finding the real output. Even though they all rate near the same specs., there can be variables in their physical testing methods which cause the large differences. Until the power tests are regulated by an impartial agency, nothing is comparable.

To be honest, since S&V rated the 2803 very well on power, along with the AVR-3805's predecessor, the AVR-3801, I'm not really surprised that the AVR-3805 rated so exceptional for it's price class. Being that the only differences between the AVR-3805 and AVR-3803 seems to be preamp features, this also puts the AVR-3803 in a good lights from the S&V power test.

Not many receivers in this $1000 - $1200 price class have came close to the 107 watts/channel with all "5" channels driven in recent S&V Reviews.

Have a good one.

Kevin T

Screenwriter

auto speaker level circuitry isn't new. my old ead theatermaster encore had this feature. it was pretty nifty to just sit on my couch and hold the mic while the ead ran through it's test tones and adjusted each channel. i expect to receive my 3805 sometime next week, but i didn't buy the mic. doesn't really matter as i'll just use my spl.

kevin t

Kevin T

Screenwriter

auto speaker level circuitry isn't new. my old ead theatermaster encore had this feature. it was pretty nifty to just sit on my couch and hold the mic while the ead ran through it's test tones and adjusted each channel. i expect to receive my 3805 sometime next week, but i didn't buy the mic. doesn't really matter as i'll just use my spl.

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks