1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

S&V tests the Denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Shane Martin, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

They loved the receiver for what its worth.

The receiver is rated at 120WPC x 7

Here are the test results:

1khz, 8 ohms

1 channel driven 151 W
    2 channels driven 139 W
    5 channels driven 107 W
    7 channels driven 93 W

Distortion at 1 watt .0028%

They praised it for the low noice levels and only knocked it for the lack of bass management on the external multichannel input.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

It would be alot more helpful to know a full range (20hz - 20khz) power rating. S&V usually tests full range, I wonder if there's a reason they didn't (requested by Denon). If it's already 27watts below its rated power at 1khz with all channels driven I wonder how far below it would be with all channels driven full range.

That said, I'm sure it's a great receiver, especially w/ video conversion and auto room-eq and speaker setup. The Kameleon style remote is pretty neat too, but I haven't done any critical listening.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

S&V, from what I remember, tests at 1KHz and usually the full bandwidth number is about 15-20% lower so the 3805 cannot be putting out more than 80W with all channels driven across the audible range. Also remember S&V reports the numbers at 1% THD which is beyond the clipping point so the useful linear power is below 80W with all channels driven.

4. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

As far as I know, S&V typically tests the frequency response for full bandwidth but for power output they test at 1 kHz only.

5. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Deleted.

6. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Hmm,
    I didnt think Denons were so over rated in power like that.

7. Jigesh Patel

Jigesh Patel Stunt Coordinator

I also have similar observation. The Home Theatre Magazine sometimes publishes power vs freq curves for amplifiers in their reviews.

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

That's really not that bad compared to others in the same price range.

9. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

To me, this is better than I expected. This thing weighs 8 pounds less than my old Sony STR-DA4ES. Based on the test results posted by Shane, it is comparable to the HKAVR630 (7X75,or 2X90). I really don't care if Denon over rate their power output. As long as its value for the price is competitive, I base my decision on sound quality, features, and reliability. In this case, the AVR630(even at Future Shop price) is more expensive than the AVR3805 in Canada.

I bought the 3805 knowing full well I will get enough power for my 7.1 system, but I will not get 840W all channel driven. I was also relatively confident that I will get as much, or more 2 channel power (and may be slightly less 7 channel power) than those high reputable HK models within the same price range.

So far, my only disappointment with the 3805 is that its bass management does not seem to allow me to set XOs for each of the mains, center, surround speakers and the sub. Also, I could not get the on screen display to work even after following the instructions. Most likely it is something I did wrong or didn't do. Any help will be much appreciated. (Okay now, it was a bad cable)

10. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I agree. Those are fairly decent measurements that would satisfy most of the moderately sized HTs with normal sensitivity (89db) speakers.

11. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Yep, pretty good power output for a receiver in that price range.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If you had a large room yes I would agree the extra 20 watts(meaning it would meet its specs), would be nice but for the majority of folks that are using it, its fine.

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, power considerations aside, one has to admit that this new Denon is one of the most advanced A/V products on the market — especially its automatic speaker-level circuitry. Though the 3805 is not the top of Denon's line, it may very well be its most technologically advanced A/V receiver.

Read the review yesterday, and it's typical S&V fare (which is to say, it's a bit sparse and not complete enough).

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

20 watts wouldn't mean much, nor would make much of an audible difference above it's already measured performance.If the speakers are set to small I doubt many people would found it lacking in any way unless have unusually tough to drive speakers,but then look for separate power amps. I agree with Jack,that this is a seriously advanced piece of machine,especially for it's price range.
    I wonder what Denon will come up with for the new flagship when they announce it.

15. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

From 93W to 120W is 1db; not significant enough to worry about. I agree its got impressive specs.

16. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik

Now, if you buy the HK 630 refurbed, direct from HK via Ebay, for example, that price becomes a whole different animal...
    [​IMG]

17. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

So true. When it comes to output, the watts numbers are always thrown in our faces. They're the numbers we see first when a product is advertised and also they're the first item that we look to see in a review.

I'm sure most people wouldn't even need all of the power that the Denon AVR-1804 provides, which is roughly 34/35 watts with all the channels driven.

As a point of reference, my Yamaha HTR-5760, when pushed at a point a bit before much distortion gets introduced, is at a level that I couldn't handle through a whole movie - it's just too darned loud. Plus, the Yammy might put out 45-50 watts with all the channels driven.

I'd love to see what the Denon 3805 would do, but I don't have $1,200 laying around to find out. [​IMG]

18. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I enquired with HK more than once in the past. If I buy from the U.S. dealers I would have to send it back to the U.S. for any warranty repair. I also enquires about refurbed units here in Ontario, with no luck at all. Besides, even if they are available, we would have to pay the refurb price as advertised in the HK website. Nice try Eric, but here in Canada there are no reasonable HK deals, new or refurbed............

19. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Say, how many of these receivers use switching power supplies? I can imagine those, especially if using switching amplifiers, could be pretty powerful while being small and light at the same time. Until recently it hasn't been hard to tell how strong an amplifier really is, based on its power supply and heatsink size.

As scary as it is, I don't think most regular speakers can handle more than 20 watts or so, before producing distortion that can make them sound "too loud" or fatiguing. Most of these receivers are fine in terms of SPL ability, but their sound quality could be another story.

20. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Even if the Denon AVR-3805 puts out alittle less power than advertised. IMHO after seeing and hearing the demo put on by Denon at this years CES show in Las Vegas. I can only say that I was very impressed with the overall sound and video quality. Denon used a Denon DVD-5900 if I am not mistaken that was routed to a dlp projector to a 80" screen or maybe a screen alittle larger. The Denon 3805 did the video switching and they used DTS vol.8 demonstration disc. Also using Diana Krall "Love Scences" to demo the audio section of the 5803. The only thing this reciever is really missing is dvi switching but for $1200 what more could you really expect? While it may or may not be true that the bass management could have been done alittle better. The Denon 3805 playing through a complete set of M&K speakers system, was very impressive. The 3805 has a low noise floor and a rock solid surround processor. This reciever also has all the flexibility you could ask for in a upper end entery level reciever. Heck I wish my aging Yamaha 995 was half as good as the 3805 is. Unless my financial situation vastly improves within the next year to two years. I would gladly get the Denon AVR-3805 add a stereo power amp to run my Altec Voice Of The Theater speakers. And a mono block to run dual 18" JBL subwoofers. IMHO the Denon 3805 has what it takes to deliver state of the art home theater for a low and reasonable cost.