What's new

Rush Concerts on DVD coming in 2002 (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Not getting my hopes up.... but:
"Fans will be able to view the action from multiple cameras"
sounds cool - all Peart all the time.
Hopefully they will have an angle devoted to the Rio crowd. Some of their populace is quite "camera friendly" ;)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
So what happened to "Exit Stage Left," "Grace Under Pressure" and "A Show of Hands" dvds? They were supposed to be released in early 2002 and nearly a year and a half later we still haven't heard anything?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kyle:
Re your post above, to my knowledge there is no definitive word regarding what happened to the alleged 2002 release of ASoH, GUP and ESL.
At first, I speculated that the releases didn't happen due to the still-ongoing, widely-reported management shuffling and corporate turmoil at Universal in recent times (former Vivendi Universal CEO Jean-Marie Messier's ouster, the attempted sale of the company's American entertainment assets [Universal Studios, the theme parks and Universal Music Group] . . . the most recent round of bids were tendered by Edgar Bronfman, Jr., John Malone's Liberty and GE's NBC this past Monday).
But I dismissed this theory long ago. UMG's DVD-A and SACD announcements this year further proved that that idea doesn't hold water (if they have their sh*t together enough to release catalog hi rez titles, one would at least think they'd be able to do catalog DVD-V releases).
I was told at the time by a player in the online Rush fan community that Anthem--which I understand to be a management firm and vanity label imprint that has Rush as its biggest client--worked on supplemental material to be included on some of these releases.
I'm now surmising that the e-mail Brett says he received in the post that started this thread was premature and perhaps not even authorized by Universal. Bands and/or their management firms don't typically own the master tapes of their/their clients' work (Metallica is a rare exception), so--although what I learned was allegedly corroborated by Anthem's Pegi Cicconi (whose name you'll see in later Rush album liner notes), it doesn't compute that Anthem could "confirm" release dates. That's Universal's call.
If anyone has more info., by all means chime in, but the answer to your question from my perspective at this time is 'we still don't know.'
Paul

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
SRO is Rush's management, but the people who run SRO also have a hand in Anthem, Rush's personal/management label. Anthem may own/partially own the back catalog.

Those titles were released when Rush was on Mercury, so Universal owns Mercury Records?

Maybe it has something to do with Rush putting out the album and touring last year. But I'm sure the label knew about that in advance. I assume there were tentative plans that got held up. I just hope when they put these shows out, they release the entire setlist they did that night. I don't want an exact copy of the laser discs.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Pretty ugly cover for the Rush In Rio disc. I know that's the dinosaur from the "One Little Victory" video, but ecch...

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I had to revive this thread since I was the one who started it.
I found this blurb on the Power Windows fan site. I hope that there is some validity to this, especially the R-30 show.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'll believe it when I see the discs.

It seems unlikely to me that a duplication company (as opposed to Anthem, a rights holder or a production company) would be announcing/touting new releases.

And that Fogo Labs link doesn't work.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Brett. Persnickety Google: "Fogo" and "Fogo Labs" did not return a hit, but "FogoLabs" did. :rolleyes
Curious/annoying that the artist links don't take you to information on the projects Fogo purportedly did for them but intead to a VH1 site. :rolleyes
I think maybe an e-mail might be more productive than a phone call. You try the latter and I'll try the former and report back with findings, if any?
-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Brett et al.:

Shock'n Y'all. I e-mailed FogoLabs and got a couple of prompt, illuminating responses.

Scroll down to the last e-mail, which was the first of the exchange, and read 'backwards' towards the top if you wish to read the thread in order.

Awesome Blu-ray/HD DVD news. I just hope it doesn't take another seven years.

Oh and let's avoid showering this kind soul with e-mails, shall we? It seems as though he's shared about as much as he can at this time.

-p

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I sure hope they do something more with the 3 older Rush concert videos than merely port them over to DVD, like Chronicles. I would still buy them, but it would be a pretty crappy effort.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
That link just had a stray comma in it. Try this. I don't think fogo is advertising these shows, they are just listing shows they are working on to try to get more business. Fogo was not the company Rush used for "Rush in Rio", but that doesn't mean the company isn't legit.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Here is a link to a pic of the actual ad.
Also, Rush's website announced several years ago that the 3 older shows were being worked on for dvd release, so Fogo didn't let the cat out of the bag on that. The Rush fan community has also known for quite a while that one of the German shows was filmed in HiDef, so there isn't much surprise on the R30 dvd either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks