What's new

Rush Concerts on DVD coming in 2002 (1 Viewer)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I sure hope they do something more with the 3 older Rush concert videos than merely port them over to DVD
A Show of Hands came out on Laser Disc (at least one version) that was the entire concert, minus one song and part of the drum solo. Other than that, the entire show is there as played live. So, I'm not sure how much they could add to that.

Exit...Stage Left was missing 8 to 10 songs from the "Moving Pictures" tour setlist. Speculation is that the extra footage from that show was either lost or thrown out, so that disc may be pretty bare bones.

I believe the "Grace Under Pressure" laser disc is missing a few songs from the GUP tour setlist, so there could be some additions there.

Rush has a lot of video in their archives. Hopefully they'll go through their archives and pull some things out.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Also, Rush's website announced several years ago that the 3 older shows were being worked on for dvd release, so Fogo didn't let the cat out of the bag on that.
Yes but the intimation at the time was that the releases were happening in or about 2002, not three years later.
That's an interesting idea, Kyle: make the catalog releases (more) complete presentations of the set lists of the tours they "represent."
-p

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
That's what fans on the Rush site's I've seen are looking for, complete setlists. Like I said, A Show of Hands is nearly complete. Rush in Rio is the first complete concert video they have released. In the past, I think they didn't release the entire show because of time limitations. Those limitations aren't there with dvd. Since many fans favorite song is "The Camera Eye" from "Moving Pictures", many people are hoping that will be added back in to ESL. You can hear a teaser of the live version at the beginning of ESL when I think it's Neal who is talking and the video is showing the crew setting up. Complete shows are what we're hoping for.

Here is what someone from a Rush site posted. It shows what is missing from the typical MP setlist:

Jacob's Ladder wasn't played during the 1981 show filmed in Montreal. There are several songs on the Exit...Stage Left album that were recorded in 1980 on the Permanent Waves tour (Jacob's Ladder, Closer To The Heart, A Passage To Bangkok, Beneath Between & Behind). Here's what is missing from the video, and may perhaps be seen some day if it isn't lost:

2112 Overture/Temples

Hemispheres: Prelude

Beneath, Between, Behind

The Camera Eye

YYZ / Drum Solo

Broon's Bane

The Spirit of Radio

Vital Signs

Natural Science

Working Man

Hemispheres: Armageddon

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Heck, those missing songs are enough for a complete release of their own!
Wonder if I'll be able to hold off on R-30 until I upgrade to Blu-Ray. . . ;)

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Seeing this thread has my mouth drooling! I recently completed my home theater (click link below) and can't wait for the DVD's. I have been a die-hard fan since the Signal's tour. Seen them live 8 times.

David

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wonder if I'll be able to hold off on R-30 until I upgrade to Blu-Ray. . .
IF R-30 streets in late '05 and the Blu-ray-compatible PlayStation 3 hits shelves in early spring '06, it could potentially be a short, Netflix-able wait. ;)
I suggest that you put the standard def at the top of your Holiday list and get someone to buy that for you and then spring for the hi def yourself. :D
-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Perhaps a Admin can change the name of this thread to "Rush concerts coming on DVD in 2006?"
Isn't it pathetic that we're made to stand here, wallets open . . . waiting . . . waiting for official versions of these titles . . . :rolleyes
-p

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Just some info in regards to another Rush DVD release from Neil Peart's website:

NOW I AM DROOLING!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. At least he has little clangy melodic thingies and, recently, a spinning set and film clips and the like. It's still pointless, but entertaining.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Nothing has been announced about the R-30 dvd. R-30 is what the band was calling their tour last year since it has been 30 years since they formed. They filmed a tour stop in Germany that will be coming out at the end of the year.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Thanks Kyle. I pretty much figured that's what it was, but just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed any announcements. I missed the concert :frowning: so I'd be glad to pick up the dvd.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Okay, I will just talk to myself, but in case others are still following these developments:

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Naw, Brett--you're hardly talking to yourself. I've just been rabble-rousing and beating the online bush so hard for so long about GUP, ESL, ASoH and TtCE DVDs that it's difficult for me to get excited about it now until I perhaps have the discs in my hands, especially with hi def DVD on the horizon. Do you know how many times I've been led to believe those discs were coming?
And now still, although I'm happy to see release dates for R30 and Neil's vid, we still don't have release dates for the catalog titles. Just "soon" and "plans to begin reissuing . . . ." Fuck that--it's nothing new. I want dates, so then we can at least opine as to what date the release is going to get delayed from.
-p
P.S. - Where'd you get that release, Brett? It hasn't shown up in my in box from Rush.com yet. Curious to me that the release says the band took a break in 2005 to focus on Alex's trial. I know the guys very much support each other, but that's a matter that I would think largely involved the band's and Alex's personal attorneys.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Curious to me that the release says the band took a break in 2005 to focus on Alex's trial. I know the guys very much support each other, but that's a matter that I would think largely involved the band's and Alex's personal attorneys.
Probably also involved Alex to a certain extent, and probably would cause a distraction to actually working on new material, so it doesn't surprise me.

Personally, it was nice to hear that they are working on new material.

Jason

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I couldn't agree more, but the way I look at it is like a puzzle and the pieces are beginning to fall in place. First off, there was that recent press release in regards to the videos being in production (Fogolabs). Even if that was held in question, they did list R30 as one of the DVDs they (Fogolabs) were working on (along with all the previous video releases). Shortly after that "advertisement" Rush officially announces the R30 show. Now there is a news story stating everything all over again except this time there are actual dates associated with the R30 release and Neil's instructional video.
I am still not getting my hopes up, but I am feeling better now.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah Brett I basically agree, but I'm tired of getting spanked.

I wrote a letter to Jim Cameron in 1998 asking about/for a Titanic SE. SEVEN years later Paramount announces it . . . 3 months after announcing that the studio is supporting HD DVD and a release slate for Q4.

In August, the studio announced they're not releasing any HD DVDs this fall.

Warner has similarly "delayed" their HD DVD release plans. So no Batman Begins HD DVD this fall either, after my having blue balls for it since June 15 when I saw that movie.

Found this after clickety clicking around the link you sent me:

"Mar. 2005: Atlantic adds a preorder link for the Vapor Trails remaster on its website, and a source close to Anthem Records confirms its release is imminent."

HA!

In the words of you-know-Who: I "Won't Get Fooled Again"!

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks