Rush in Rio DVD to be relased October 21st! Also in THEATERS!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Adam_R, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Here's the official press release with full specs!!!:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RUSH READIES RUSH IN RIO -
    FIRST-EVER LIVE DOUBLE-DVD SET & DELUXE TRIPLE-CD SET SLATED FOR OCTOBER 21st

(September 3, 2003) Legendary rock trio Rush (Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart) returns October 21st with the simultaneous release of a two-disc, first-ever live DVD and a three-disc live CD, both entitled RUSH IN RIO. The sets capture all the excitement of the band’s 2002 tour of North and South America. One of the largest-grossing tours of the year, the itinerary found Rush performing before hundreds of thousands of fans throughout Canada, the United States and, for the very first time, in Mexico and Brazil. RUSH IN RIO (DVD on Anthem/Coming Home/Zoë; CD on Anthem/Atlantic) was recorded and filmed at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on the final night of the tour in front of a spirited crowd of over 60,000.

The three-hour concert includes songs spanning the group’s entire 30-year career - from the mammoth guitar riffs of “Working Man” (from Rush’s debut album) to the contemporary crunch of their latest #1 rock smash, “One Little Victory” (from their critically acclaimed 17th studio album, 2002’s VAPOR TRAILS). All of the great Rush hits are present, including “Tom Sawyer,” “The Spirit of Radio,” “Closer to the Heart,” “New World Man,” “Distant Early Warning,” “2112,” “The Big Money,” “Freewill,” “YYZ,” “Dreamline,” “The Trees,” and “Limelight.” Also featured is a special never-before-performed acoustic version of “Resist” from 1996’s TEST FOR ECHO and an updated awe-inspiring Neil Peart drum solo (“O Baterista”). [FULL TRACK LISTING ATTACHED]

In addition to the entire live performance, which was mixed by James “Jimbo” Barton (Metallica, Godsmack, Eric Clapton) and guitarist Alex Lifeson, both the DVD and CD packages include special bonus materials that will appeal to both new and long-time Rush fans.

The CD set contains two “authorized bootleg” tracks recorded earlier in the 2002 tour: “Between Sun & Moon,” a gem from 1993’s COUNTERPARTS album never before played live; and “Vital Signs,” from 1981’s classic MOVING PICTURES and appearing on a live album for the very first time.

The DVD was produced from a 22-camera shoot and will be presented in 16x9 widescreen format. Audio options include Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound and Dolby Digital Stereo. Among the numerous DVD bonus features are:

• A documentary by longtime Rush photographer Andrew MacNaughtan that includes band interviews as well as rare rehearsal and backstage footage.

• Multi-angle viewing options on “La Villa Strangiato” and “YYZ” (Alex, Geddy, or Neil angle in addition to the original cut), plus two alternate angle shots on “O Baterista.”

• Easter eggs: “By Tor & The Snow Dog” (from 1975’s FLY BY NIGHT) cartoon created specifically for the tour, and an extremely rare live performance from 1975 of “Anthem” (also from FLY BY NIGHT) that was recently discovered in the Rush vault.

Regal Theaters will host special theatrical premieres of the DVD in over 30 major markets on release date. A complete list of cities and theaters will be announced in September.

RUSH IN RIO is a truly stellar set that captures the energy, power, and virtuosity of one of music’s most dynamic ensembles.

# # #

COMPLETE TRACK LIST:

Tom Sawyer

Distant Early Warning

New World Man

Roll The Bones

Earthshine

YYZ

The Pass

Bravado

The Big Money

Trees

Freewill

Closer To The Heart

Natural Science

One Little Victory

Driven

Ghost Rider

Secret Touch

Dreamline

Red Sector “A”

Leave That Thing Alone

O Baterista

Resist

Limelight

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit of Radio

By-Tor & The Snow Dog/Cygnus X-1

Working Man

Between Sun & Moon (CD ONLY)

Vital Signs (CD ONLY)

Contact info:
    www.cominghomestudios.com or www.rush.com

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

3. Michael St. Clair

I wonder if these will all be DLP presentations? Or actual film?

No Regal theaters here.

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Oct. 21 is going to be really expensive. The Rush in Rio DVD and CD, and the Indiana Jones trilogy!!

5. johnbud

johnbud Auditioning

SWEET! I saw the opening night of this tour in Hartford, CT. It was an amazing concert. We were 3rd row on Geddy's side which was a real treat as I play the bass on occasion.

I just hope it is not edited "MTV Style" and we get more than a second on the peformers before they show someone else.

Oct through end of year is going to be so expensive!!!!!!

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Goddamn, I gotta wait over six weeks for this?!?!?! [​IMG]

7. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Holy mother of God!

I'm there dude. [​IMG]

8. Mark Klaus

Mark Klaus Stunt Coordinator

I'm all over this one.

Along with The Kids Are Alright and the new U2 disc, it a great time for DVD concerts.

9. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

No kidding, this is definitely a good time for music DVDs. This one sounds like a winner! [​IMG]

10. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Sweeeeeet. Though obviously being in Germany I won't be able to catch a theatrical release. A Rush concert on the big screen? Wow.

11. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Should you wish to link directly to the release: http://www.rush.com/flash_content/pop/rushinrio2.html

Too bad there's no contact information/e-mail address at the end of the release to direct further inquiries to.

Michael:

12. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    In case you didn't get the e-mail from Rush.com yesterday, there's now a little more information about the theatrical presentations online.

http://www.regalcm.com/

Not unexpectedly, the locations of the booked theaters leave a lot to be desired IMO. It's a rather limited engagement at 26 theaters in 15 states.

-p

13. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

Wow, we're getting it here in Jax. The theatrical release, that is. Too bad I do not have 2.5 hours to sit in a movie theater. [​IMG]

Very cool release. Adding it to my wish list for the holidays.

14. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Interesting that tickets for this are only $6. Don't know if I'm going yet, tho...

Jason

15. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Jason et al.:

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    From a story ("Digital Projection of Films Is Coming. Now, Who Pays?") in today's New York Times: