What's new

Rush in Rio DVD to be relased October 21st! Also in THEATERS!!! (1 Viewer)

Adam_R

Second Unit
Here's the official press release with full specs!!!:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RUSH READIES RUSH IN RIO -
FIRST-EVER LIVE DOUBLE-DVD SET & DELUXE TRIPLE-CD SET SLATED FOR OCTOBER 21st

(September 3, 2003) Legendary rock trio Rush (Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart) returns October 21st with the simultaneous release of a two-disc, first-ever live DVD and a three-disc live CD, both entitled RUSH IN RIO. The sets capture all the excitement of the band’s 2002 tour of North and South America. One of the largest-grossing tours of the year, the itinerary found Rush performing before hundreds of thousands of fans throughout Canada, the United States and, for the very first time, in Mexico and Brazil. RUSH IN RIO (DVD on Anthem/Coming Home/Zoë; CD on Anthem/Atlantic) was recorded and filmed at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on the final night of the tour in front of a spirited crowd of over 60,000.

The three-hour concert includes songs spanning the group’s entire 30-year career - from the mammoth guitar riffs of “Working Man” (from Rush’s debut album) to the contemporary crunch of their latest #1 rock smash, “One Little Victory” (from their critically acclaimed 17th studio album, 2002’s VAPOR TRAILS). All of the great Rush hits are present, including “Tom Sawyer,” “The Spirit of Radio,” “Closer to the Heart,” “New World Man,” “Distant Early Warning,” “2112,” “The Big Money,” “Freewill,” “YYZ,” “Dreamline,” “The Trees,” and “Limelight.” Also featured is a special never-before-performed acoustic version of “Resist” from 1996’s TEST FOR ECHO and an updated awe-inspiring Neil Peart drum solo (“O Baterista”). [FULL TRACK LISTING ATTACHED]

In addition to the entire live performance, which was mixed by James “Jimbo” Barton (Metallica, Godsmack, Eric Clapton) and guitarist Alex Lifeson, both the DVD and CD packages include special bonus materials that will appeal to both new and long-time Rush fans.

The CD set contains two “authorized bootleg” tracks recorded earlier in the 2002 tour: “Between Sun & Moon,” a gem from 1993’s COUNTERPARTS album never before played live; and “Vital Signs,” from 1981’s classic MOVING PICTURES and appearing on a live album for the very first time.

The DVD was produced from a 22-camera shoot and will be presented in 16x9 widescreen format. Audio options include Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound and Dolby Digital Stereo. Among the numerous DVD bonus features are:

• A documentary by longtime Rush photographer Andrew MacNaughtan that includes band interviews as well as rare rehearsal and backstage footage.

• Multi-angle viewing options on “La Villa Strangiato” and “YYZ” (Alex, Geddy, or Neil angle in addition to the original cut), plus two alternate angle shots on “O Baterista.”

• Easter eggs: “By Tor & The Snow Dog” (from 1975’s FLY BY NIGHT) cartoon created specifically for the tour, and an extremely rare live performance from 1975 of “Anthem” (also from FLY BY NIGHT) that was recently discovered in the Rush vault.

Regal Theaters will host special theatrical premieres of the DVD in over 30 major markets on release date. A complete list of cities and theaters will be announced in September.

RUSH IN RIO is a truly stellar set that captures the energy, power, and virtuosity of one of music’s most dynamic ensembles.

# # #

COMPLETE TRACK LIST:

Tom Sawyer

Distant Early Warning

New World Man

Roll The Bones

Earthshine

YYZ

The Pass

Bravado

The Big Money

Trees

Freewill

Closer To The Heart

Natural Science

One Little Victory

Driven

Ghost Rider

Secret Touch

Dreamline

Red Sector “A”

Leave That Thing Alone

O Baterista

Resist

Limelight

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit of Radio

By-Tor & The Snow Dog/Cygnus X-1

Working Man

Between Sun & Moon (CD ONLY)

Vital Signs (CD ONLY)

Contact info:
www.cominghomestudios.com or www.rush.com

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Regal Theaters will host special theatrical premieres of the DVD in over 30 major markets on release date. A complete list of cities and theaters will be announced in September.
:eek:
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
:eek:

That wasn't expected...

Jason

greg_t

Screenwriter
Oct. 21 is going to be really expensive. The Rush in Rio DVD and CD, and the Indiana Jones trilogy!!

johnbud

Auditioning
SWEET! I saw the opening night of this tour in Hartford, CT. It was an amazing concert. We were 3rd row on Geddy's side which was a real treat as I play the bass on occasion.

I just hope it is not edited "MTV Style" and we get more than a second on the peformers before they show someone else.

Oct through end of year is going to be so expensive!!!!!!

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
I'm all over this one.

Along with The Kids Are Alright and the new U2 disc, it a great time for DVD concerts.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Sweeeeeet. Though obviously being in Germany I won't be able to catch a theatrical release. A Rush concert on the big screen? Wow.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Should you wish to link directly to the release: http://www.rush.com/flash_content/pop/rushinrio2.html

Too bad there's no contact information/e-mail address at the end of the release to direct further inquiries to.

Michael:

Regal Theaters will host special theatrical premieres of the DVD in over 30 major markets on release date. (My underline)
I'm fairly certain that these "special theatrical premieres" will be LCD video projections of the actual DVD itself.

Paul

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
In case you didn't get the e-mail from Rush.com yesterday, there's now a little more information about the theatrical presentations online.

http://www.regalcm.com/

Not unexpectedly, the locations of the booked theaters leave a lot to be desired IMO. It's a rather limited engagement at 26 theaters in 15 states.

-p

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Wow, we're getting it here in Jax. The theatrical release, that is. Too bad I do not have 2.5 hours to sit in a movie theater. :)

Very cool release. Adding it to my wish list for the holidays.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Interesting that tickets for this are only $6. Don't know if I'm going yet, tho...

Jason

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
One of the largest-grossing tours of the year,
No surprise there, since the ticket prices since the TFE toru shot up from $30 to $75!! :eek:

Rush is my favorite band everm and I've seen them 4 times, but when they start behaving like Barbara Streisand, I stop attending. :rolleyes:The VT tour was the first Rush tour I've intentionally missed since HYF!

-Lyle J.P.

P.S. This didn't stop me from buying some tickets for the show at the Regal Hacienda in Dublin! :b

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
From a story ("Digital Projection of Films Is Coming. Now, Who Pays?") in today's New York Times:

Rather than wait for all the [standards and financing] issues to be resolved, one big theater owner, the Regal Entertainment Group -- which owns the Edwards, Regal and United Artists theaters -- has installed a less-expensive type of digital projector in 306 of its 561 cinemas. The systems, which project an image quality comparable to high-definition television, but not fully equivalent to 35-millimeter film, are being used for packages of advertisements before feature films or when renting out the theaters for corporate videoconferences or special remote transmissions of concerts and other live entertainment.
It is highly likely that the theater I'll be going to to see Rush In Rio next Tuesday in Irvine, California--the Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21 & IMAX--is one of those 306 theaters. So, to expand on my post #11 above, it would appear that another possibility besides DVD projections regarding the source of what we're going to be looking at is that it is a remote transmission.

According to recent Rush.com e-mail, tickets are selling well and this Irvine theater is one of those that has apparently added a second screen for this presentation. Adding screens ought to be fairly painless at a location with multiple digital projectors capable of receiving remote transmissions.

Unfortunately, having recently seen a few movies at Regal houses, I can say that the image quality of the digitally projected pre-show ads and other crap is not very good. Perhaps the quality of the source material is an issue here though.

Haven't heard word of any SCARF (Southern California Area Rush Fans) gatherings in connection with the screening. If you're going to the Spectrum 21 in Irvine next Tuesday and see a guy wearing a black HTF t-shirt and a black Vapor Trails hat, say "hi." :)

-p

P.S. - Please post if you hear when KLOS is going to play the Rush In Rio radio special.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks