What's new

Ruined the SHREK case trying to remove "Instant Win Card" (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Totally p.o'ed at Dreamworks for this travesty. The glue holding the "instant win" card to the front plastic of the keepcase WILL NOT COME OFF. I gouged the plastic trying to remove it, and it's not like I can replace this case - it's a very unique 2-disc carrier. Why can't these F---ing things be made easy to remove? Haven't seen this complaint anywhere on this thread before - am I the only person having this problem?

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Two words (for those who haven't already gouged their cases).
Goo-Gone!
...or is that one word!?
confused.gif

------------------
SpenceJT
Link Removed
"...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I'm totally pissed at Dreamworks for doing this also. Lucky for me, I has a spare slim dual keepcase so I use that now. I have a thread in the Studio feedback section complaining about this very thing. I think Dreamworks should ship you (and me) a free case.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Yes, I too put a tiny mark in the case trying to lift the corner. I then managed to peel the corner up a bit and then stopped because of the amount and strength of the glue. I'll peel the rest at home where I have goo gone handy.
Even if you do manage to peel it off gently, it leaves an unusual amount of residue that only something like Goo Gone would fix -- otherwise it would stick to my Criterion Silence of the Lambs when I rack it!
This is really bad. Why not put the ad for the game on a sticker on the front on the plastic and then put the actual game piece inside? All this frustration for a free ice cream cone!
I think the idea is that people wouldn't mind that piece of plastic being left there. That kind of stff bugs me. MUST COME OFF.
[Edited last by Patrick Larkin on November 02, 2001 at 12:57 PM]

John Beavers

Second Unit
What about that security tape, it seems to be getting stickier these days, either that or I'm getting clumsier in my attempts to get under the tape with my nail.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I only wished this stuff peeled off as easily as the security sticker does. I mean what is the big deal about using that kind of sticking material instead of the permanent stuff. It is like a layer of crazy glue. It is not meant to come off.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Steve Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Young
Thanks Spence for the tip. I carefully peeled as much as I could, then used the Goo Gone to remove the rest.
Steve

Armando H

Agent
I didn't even peel mine. I just rubbed it completely out with Goo Gone. Not one spot of residue left.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
What about that security tape, it seems to be getting stickier these days, either that or I'm getting clumsier in my attempts to get under the tape with my nail.

Every time I open a new DVD I pray I never find the person or company who invented those stupid security stickers. Not that they're impossible to remove, but they're very annoying and I'm always worried about damaging disc cases.
I've found the best way to remove the security tape is with a sharp knife. I can slide it under the tape (about 1/4") on the top of the case, slide the knife left or right a little, and the side of the tape pops up. From there I can remove the tape in one piece without worrying about damaging the case. I was sick of gouging the plastic on the cases with my fingernail. This method seems to work for me with no damage at all.
------------------
Scott
[Edited last by Scott-C on November 02, 2001 at 03:03 PM]

mdean

Auditioning
With a bit of scotch tape and some patience, I managed to clean that awful tacky glue off! Took about 10 minutes or so, but it's clean as a whistle.
I actually used the type used to tape up boxes, but ordinary scotch tape should do as well.
Simply cover the area with tape, then lift up--some of the glue will stick to the tape. Continue this lifting motion until all of this ugly, sticky stuff is gone. It doesn't take long either.
Worked for me, my case is squeeky clean now.
Mind you, I first thought super hot water would emulsify the stuff. Not a chance. Then I tried scrubbing if off. Finally, I tried the scotch tape trick, worked like a charm.
Good luck with yours.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tip on the tape. I have tons of rolls at home since my works at a hosipital, resulting in a number of free rolls for my use. Once this horrible crap is gone, I might be able to watch the movie!
------------------
rirsesignture.gif

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Can't tell you where to get Goo Gone, but for me, WD40 does the trick every time, and I'm sure I'm not alone; in fact, I'm surprised it's not been mentioned before. Cheers.
DS.
------------------
"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
This is pretty bad. I'd imagine ALL of the copies are like this right now. What a terrible idea to put this stupid instant win coupon on the front. I'm returning my copy to Future Shop. Isn't cross promotion fun?

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the scotch-tape-pulling-the-residue act works.
Along with a little bit of elbow grease.
I can't belive someone is going to return a DVD
because the case was ruined by not carefully removing
the sticker.
What happens when you get lint on your clothes? Go into
cardiac arrest?
biggrin.gif

However - I do hope that this practice is discontinued.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Goo gone, wd40 both work fine, but try any oily substance lying around the house (wesson, crisco, olive oil, etc.) Generously applied and then wiped away with a towel, these oils will get rid of the residue. Then just clean away the oil with some rubbing alcohol and voila clean as a whistle!
mike.
------------------
Do It Right or Don't Do It at All®

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks