What's new

Ruined the SHREK case trying to remove "Instant Win Card" (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Is it just me or is Mick B fastly becoming the "Don't get me started" guy?
Jeff

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Maybe this has already been posted, but you don't even need scotch tape. This is a pretty common problem that is easily remedied by taking the original label that you peeled off the case and using the label the same way you would use scotch tape.
Just gently press down with a sticky area of the label onto the residue/glue sticking to your case ...and lift away quickly. Repeat this process until it is all gone. Takes about 30 seconds. My case was covered after I removed the label, but I did the above and had it looking like nothing had ever been there in to time at all.
This is actually a safer process then using tape, because the stickier tape may hold much more firmly to the surface, and actually could damage your case. It is just a better idea to remove the adhesive glue with an adhesive of the same strength -hence using the same label to lift the remaining glue away.
Hope this helps :)
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on November 03, 2001 at 03:38 AM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
All this frustration for a free ice cream cone!
Not even that! I don't live anywhere near a Baskin & Robbins!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

Brian O

Second Unit
Well, I read this thread earlier before I bought my Shrek and thought that it wouldnt be that big a deal. WAS I WRONG! Over 200 DVDs I have had to remove stickers from in three years and this was clearly the worst. Ohh, and the Best of Barney - Andy Griffith Show was bad too, but at least that was the security sticker and not some blatant idiotic advertising. Absolutely ridiculous!!!
I live in the Desert where the temps are still over 90 degrees. This seems to effect the glue worse than in other areas of the Country during shipping and in a negative way, I believe.
I used my Goo-Gone and tape and it still was a major pain in the butt. There was a LOT of glue still remaining after I removed the sticker. It appears to have permanetly clouded the front cover as well as a little on the paper underneath after getting the glue off!
We need a way to contact Dreamworks to get new cases and title covers. What would that phone number be?
What an idiotic decision to do this!
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I used a real sharp pearing knife and just cut off the top half of the sticker, and just left the bottom half on their. It's transparant anyway, so i'll just leave it on, no sense in risking that mess trying to get it off.
What the hell was Dreamworks thinking with this!?
confused.gif

------------------
God bless the USA and the men and women of our military and their families!

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
Some people have suggested in another thread that the corporate sponsorship was the reason this disc was selling at a low price of $16.99 at B&Ms. I don't think so. Star Wars:TPM was selling for $17.99 in the week it was released, at the B&Ms. It did not have any advertising sponsorship. Nor did it have goo sticking on 1/4th of the keep case.
Anyway, coming back to the topic of removing the residue, don't waste time searching for goo-gone or anything else. I used a 1/2 teaspoon of cooking oil (corn oil). The oil completely dissolves the glue. Just wipe off the oil and use some windex to get rid of the oil residue. The case is as good as new.
And remember to remove the keepcase cover insert before any attempt to use oil or goo-gone.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Some people are lucky by the sounds of it. Peeling the label on my DVD only resulted in pieces of the label coming off. It did not come off in one or even five pieces. The underlying glue was so thick that trying to physically remove it would only damage the case. I think Dreamworks should be forced to send free cases to people that request them as a deterrant to not do this blunder again.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's
[Edited last by Neil Joseph on November 04, 2001 at 08:54 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks