1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Rudy

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Adam Lenhardt, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Has anyone else seen this flick? In sixth grade, we watched it during a movie day before a holiday. I picked up a copy when I saw it in Walmart's bargain bin a while back. I finally got around to watching it again.
    What an unbelievable movie. There are plenty of "true story" inspirational sports movies. But few set their bar of success so low, nor base the core of the film in hope - not talent. Every step of the way is a challenge for that poor little bastard, and he pursues it to the point of being irritation.
    Is it cloying? Sure. Manipulative? Hell yes. But it one of the few films that understands what it truly means to believe in something - to hope so much that you'll throw your everything into it. I only wish I had the passion he had. And one of Jerry Goldsmith's most rousing scores, to boot.

2. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

I thought it was a great movie. I also thought Sean Astin's performance as Rudy was very underrated and quite brilliant. It's also such a nostalgic movie for me to watch in the Fall.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

Being a life long Notre Dame football fan, my Rudy DVD gets many spins. Excellent movie.

4. Alphonse Brown

Alphonse Brown Stunt Coordinator

Love the movie. Love the Goldsmith score.

Sean Astin was perfect in this movie as was Charles S. Dutton ... very inspiring!

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I really couldn't get past these issues and therefore deeply disliked the film. It has been quite some time since I've seen it though, and maybe I should give it another chance now that I'm not the impetuous and unforgiving youth I once was [​IMG].

6. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Funny how this thread popped up and I just rewatched this last night. Eventhough Rudy was released in 1993, I have really only begun to discover this film the past year or so. In fact, despite some flaws, it's a great film that has etched it's way into one of my all time favorites.

It's a terrific performance by Sean Astin. Effective score by Jerry Goldsmith, and also an underrated performance by Ned Beatty who plays Rudy's father.

Rudy hits most of the emotional chords, even a bit much during some moments, but all in all a very sweet film about overcoming adversity and pursuing a dream.

One of my favorite moments in this film or any film is when Rudy finally gets the letter of acceptance from Notre Dame. There he is, after several rejections...reading the letter by the lake and tears began flowing down his face. They came down mine too.

Another is the scene when the Seniors take their jersey in to Coach Devine for at the final home game.

I think Rudy is a great story and great film.

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Rudy will always remain in my all time top ten favorite films. Sean Astin shines even brighter here than he did as 'Sam' in the Lord of the Rings films, and he did an awesome job in those films.

Tim,
    your favorite scene is also mine as well, when his tears start to fall while reading the letter and Jerry's score comes up, that's it, stick a fork in me.

A little trivia to those new to the film, the real Rudy is in the film, he can be seen sitting right behind Rudy's on-screen dad during the big game at the end, he's wearing one of those old style black caps.

8. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

This movie will always trigger negative emotions in me, but not because of the film itself. I was stationed in Korea when it came out and was in a pretty serious relationship (at least I thought it was) only to find out she was viewing our relationship as "open" or sleeping around like it was the '60s.
    Anyway, the theater on post was pretty small and who do I see a couple rows down? Her and the new guy. Trying to not let something as little as cheating bother me, I tried to watch the movie. Now here it is 12-13 years later and just hearing the title Rudy and those are the images I get stuck with.

9. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Funny you mention that. When Sam was carrying Frodo on his back in Return of the King, people in the theater were chanting "Rudy, Rudy, Rudy!" [​IMG]

10. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

great flick indeed.