What's new

Rudy (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone else seen this flick? In sixth grade, we watched it during a movie day before a holiday. I picked up a copy when I saw it in Walmart's bargain bin a while back. I finally got around to watching it again.
What an unbelievable movie. There are plenty of "true story" inspirational sports movies. But few set their bar of success so low, nor base the core of the film in hope - not talent. Every step of the way is a challenge for that poor little bastard, and he pursues it to the point of being irritation.
Is it cloying? Sure. Manipulative? Hell yes. But it one of the few films that understands what it truly means to believe in something - to hope so much that you'll throw your everything into it. I only wish I had the passion he had. And one of Jerry Goldsmith's most rousing scores, to boot.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a great movie. I also thought Sean Astin's performance as Rudy was very underrated and quite brilliant. It's also such a nostalgic movie for me to watch in the Fall.

Alphonse Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Love the movie. Love the Goldsmith score.

Sean Astin was perfect in this movie as was Charles S. Dutton ... very inspiring!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I really couldn't get past these issues and therefore deeply disliked the film. It has been quite some time since I've seen it though, and maybe I should give it another chance now that I'm not the impetuous and unforgiving youth I once was :).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Funny how this thread popped up and I just rewatched this last night. Eventhough Rudy was released in 1993, I have really only begun to discover this film the past year or so. In fact, despite some flaws, it's a great film that has etched it's way into one of my all time favorites.

It's a terrific performance by Sean Astin. Effective score by Jerry Goldsmith, and also an underrated performance by Ned Beatty who plays Rudy's father.

Rudy hits most of the emotional chords, even a bit much during some moments, but all in all a very sweet film about overcoming adversity and pursuing a dream.

One of my favorite moments in this film or any film is when Rudy finally gets the letter of acceptance from Notre Dame. There he is, after several rejections...reading the letter by the lake and tears began flowing down his face. They came down mine too.

Another is the scene when the Seniors take their jersey in to Coach Devine for at the final home game.

I think Rudy is a great story and great film.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Rudy will always remain in my all time top ten favorite films. Sean Astin shines even brighter here than he did as 'Sam' in the Lord of the Rings films, and he did an awesome job in those films.

Tim,
your favorite scene is also mine as well, when his tears start to fall while reading the letter and Jerry's score comes up, that's it, stick a fork in me.

A little trivia to those new to the film, the real Rudy is in the film, he can be seen sitting right behind Rudy's on-screen dad during the big game at the end, he's wearing one of those old style black caps.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
This movie will always trigger negative emotions in me, but not because of the film itself. I was stationed in Korea when it came out and was in a pretty serious relationship (at least I thought it was) only to find out she was viewing our relationship as "open" or sleeping around like it was the '60s.
Anyway, the theater on post was pretty small and who do I see a couple rows down? Her and the new guy. Trying to not let something as little as cheating bother me, I tried to watch the movie. Now here it is 12-13 years later and just hearing the title Rudy and those are the images I get stuck with.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Funny you mention that. When Sam was carrying Frodo on his back in Return of the King, people in the theater were chanting "Rudy, Rudy, Rudy!" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks