What's new

Rubber surround repair: Silicon, RTV, Goop? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
What should I use to repair a torn rubber surround?

I've searched the archives here and on other forums, and found pretty much 3 answers.

1. RTV
2. Silicon
3. Goop

There is also a 4th answer that sounds like the ideal solution, although I can't find the stuff.

The problem is, there are many products in each category, and the archived answers aren't specific. There are RTV and silicon products marketed as adhesives, caulks, sealants, coatings, etc. There are various blends in each category. Also, there are several types of "goop".

Can anyone give me some specific info? Thanks!

I poked a hole in the AV-8 when making the mains and center.
I put some crazy glue on it and later asked Dan about it.
He said it should be ok. I'm not sure it was ideal as it is not flexible. The tear was about the size you have there.

The advantage I saw to the crazy glue vs. what you're proposing is that it is nearly weightless.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
A liquid or thin gel like CA/crazy glue would certainly be the easiest to apply (it would probably wick right into the crack), but I think the nature of my particular repair definitely calls for something flexible.

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
I have used silicone in the past. Couldnt tell the difference once it was done.

I applied it with a toothpick along the tear and then did a very thin layer over the back of the tear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks