What's new

RPTV, FPTV, Plasma - Which way to go? (1 Viewer)

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I'm looking at the PLV-70 or the Sony HS-10 as possible solutions for my theater intentions. How's the PLV-Z1 and the Infocus X1 compare to these?
Gordon

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I'm baaaack! :)
It's taken me a little longer to get the photos up than I thought, but I finally posted pictures of my HT room and how I've got my screen set up.
The link is in my Plus Avanti review thread (the link is in the 9th post down) so head on over and take a look!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Marvin, electrical and video cables under the carpet is not desireable. You underpad and carpet will eventually sufer permanent damage as a result. What is above you room? Upstairs rooms or an attic?

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Marvin,

if you have joists in the ceiling, see if you can determine which way they go. With any luck, they're headed towards your equipment, and if the don't have any fireblocking (short cross-beams between joists) you jsut might be able to fish the cables through a section...

Good luck! I am reading this with interest as I have been wanting a projector ever since I saw my ol' pal Mike Knapp's setup... in 1999... he's switched to RPTV, but I still want FPTV at native HD levels...

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Just a quick update on this thread (Yikes! My first post back in November!) My last intention was to DO IT ALL! That is, a large (65") RPTV with a drop-down screen (100") for movies. My budget is about $10K.

Okay, I blew my budget out on the sound side. I'm going to drop between $5K and $6K on speakers alone. I want the audio end to be the heart of the system, so that's that. I also have not been happy with what I've learned about RPTV's. I do not want CRT because of the burn-in and black letterboxing on 4:3 material. Don't like strech modes. I thought the DLP Samsungs where the answer, but there's enough problems w/them that I'm going to hold off for a while on all that. Soooooo.....

We're going to have a killer sound system and keep our OLD 27" Zenith console for everyday TV viewing for a while.

I'm going with a 106" Daylight screen to drop down in front of the Zenith TV and a Sony HS-10 Projector. (Thanks, Neil!!)

I've done a LOT of research and weighing options. Mostly over at AVS forum (sorry guys, I got sucked in there and couldn't hang with two places at once, but I'll spend more time here, Promise!)

Here's the system I'm putting together:

Sony HS10 projector
Denon 3803 receiver
Klipsch RF-7 based speaker system (with monopole side surrounds!)

Have purchased the screen and PJ mount and am in the midst of drywall/wiring now. Will be purchasing the big $$ items in about a month.

Thanks for the advise here!!

Gordon

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Gordon, I am sure you will let us know how it goes, right?
Absolutely! I still consider this forum "home", despite my resident alien status over at AVS. IMO, they are a touch "over-moderated" and some of that moderation is driven by the fact that they are, basically, a store front for AV Science. That's cool by me. I mean, they are paying the bills, so however they want to call the shots is fair and square (as long as one realizes they ARE a storefront!). The major attraction is the VAST membership and body of experience that is encompassed there.

You should have seen what happened to a very polite (and informative) "Rockets VS. Klipsch" thread in the speaker section. I have no problem with Big Brother pulling the strings if he is also paying the bills. It just caught me off-guard a little.

Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks