What's new
World Wide Stereo

RP91 as good as the XP30? (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Recently I purchased a used RP91. I was interested in it because of the auto scaling of non-anamorphic DVDs. I was afraid that it would have inferior picture quality to the XP30 that I also own. I was pleasently surprized that I could not tell a difference in PQ between the two. I mainly watch film based DVDs and on only rare occasions do I watch video based DVDs. Could this account for the fact that I really don't see any PQ difference?

One area that the RP91 really excels is that it can play DVD+R disks that the XP30 pixelates rather badly. The RP91 plays them without a hitch.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The only advantage of the XP30 is the better deinterlacing due to it's faroudja deinterlacer. Other than that, they're pretty similar. I have both an XP30 and a 91, and I do prefer the XP30. It seems to have a more vibrant image. It unfortunatly lacks the 91's scaling and it's tweakability.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I play DVD+R and DVD+RW discs perfectly on the XP30. The XP30 is much better with progressive scan, but the RP91 is slightly better for interlaced output. The RP91 will comb in badly flagged portions of DVDs and has lower resolution for video mode titles in progressive mode compared to the XP30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks