What's new

Rotel RMB-1095 Amp Owners Please Read (1 Viewer)

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Rotel 1095 amp. I can hear a buzz comming from my tweeters when all other equipment is turned off and all inputs from my preamp are disconnected. I don't think I should hear this buzzing. So I returned the amp to the dealer and waited for a replacement. Guess what the new amp has the same thing.

Rotel says it may be a problem with power in my local area and my dealer says it's inherent to all RMB-1095's, but I am questioning this advice.

Please let me know if your Rotel RMB-1095 amp has a buzz comming from you speakers. You have to put your ear next to the tweeter to hear it.

I would like to know if this is inherent to all RMB-1095's, or if it's a power problem in my area before I purchace a power conditioner.

Thanks,

Dave

Legairre

Supporting Actor
David,

Don't be alarmed. Many high current power amps produce a buzz that can only be heard a few inches from the speaker. I was really anal about any buzzing coming from my speakers until I finally said to myself "hey if I can only hear it with my ear 4 inches from the speaker then who cares". Unless you normally listen with your ear that close then don't worry about it. I have a 1095 and it does the same thing. What your hearing is the power transfomer. The 1095 isn't the only amp that produces a buzz that can only be heard from a few inches away. I wouldn't bother getting a power conditioner just for the buzz. If you need it for other reasons go ahead, but that's a lot of money to spend to change something that can only be heard at a few inches away.

I hope this help.

Legairre

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I had a similar problem with a different amp. It had to do with the way the home was powered, the outlet I was using was right next to a light dimmer outlet, and may have contributed to the problem. I got a long extension cord and checked all the outlets in the room and I finally found one that didn't do it, that would be my first step if I were you. The next might be looking into line conditioners, and if htey may help?

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
I obviously don't sit 4 inches from my speakers but I am concerned that it may be adding distortion in the upper frequencies which will be audible when listening to softer musical passages or movie scenes.

Hey, if all RMB-1095's buzz it may not be a concern. But if some owners don't have this then I will have to investigate a power conditioning solution.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
David,

I own the Rotel 1090. I had the same problem but I added an isolater to the incoming cable signal...your local audio shop should have them. Also, you can try a cheater plug (3 prong to 2 prong) at the outlet. My buzz is gone after the above two remedies.

Jeremy

Legairre

Supporting Actor
David,

Sorry if I offended you. It wasn't my intention. I never meant to suggest that you'd sit that close.

I play my 1095 real loud and there isn't a hint of distortion anywhere. Trust me I mean real loud. Just look at my signature. I could be wrong about your problem since I'm not there to hear it, but mine and many others are just the transformers.

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
Legairre,
I was not offended at all;) and I do appreciate your knowledge on this subject. Sorry if my response sounded that way, I was only trying to lead into what may be some distortion when sitting at the listening position.
Cheers

Legairre

Supporting Actor
David,

No problem. I just wanted to apologize just in case. I've seen some threads where words are taken the wrong way and I didn't want another one going that way. Thanks for understanding.

DexS

Grip
David,
My 1095 is in the service center for clipping problems. Guess I would have to test this buzzing sound and press for a replacement from them.
I miss my amp :frowning:
Thanks

Larry B

Screenwriter
David and Legairre:

What a pleasant treat to read a thread in which two participants display such thoughtfullness. I hope others follow your lead.

Larry

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"I have the RB-1090 also and am curious, what is an isolator?"

Andy,

It's just a small connector to screw on your RG-6 cable from your wall. There are a ton of manufacturers of them, I'll bet Radio Shack even makes them. Do a google search for cable ground loop isolator and you'll see what I'm talking about. When I put mine in, it eliminated all of the hum, without a cheater plug.

Jeremy

Joe e h

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 1095 and the buzz. I went though the process of unplugging eveything from the amp. After 2 hours I got it down to my DVD/LD and Decoder connections.
As soon as I plugged one of these back into the reciever( temp pre/pro) I started getting the buzz. So I figured I would have to live with it until I buy a new Anthem and new DVD player.
Then after I got everthing back together and moved the furniture back, I said it's time for a beer :) I sit back and start to listen to a DVD and thats when it hit me. The Dishnetwork was hooked up to the RPTV, which also had the S video from the DVD/LD player hooked up. So it might be the Sat feeding back though the RPTV and up the S cord.
I do have a 20 amp line ran using 10ga and a industrial grade outlet. There is nothing else on this circuit.
If you think it might be the outlet or the power transformer, just unplug your preamp. If it is the outlet or transformer you will still hear it.
JOe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks