What's new

ROSWELL- Season One (1 Viewer)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Here's the FOX site for the DVD:

http://www.foxhome.com/roswell/home.html

There are some errors with the site FOX set up for RSOWELL:
1. They have the linking to episode synopses for season one off by one (you click on 1 and get episode 2 instead and clik on 22 to get episode 1).
2. the actor bios are 5 years old and they should have been up to date including the ages the actors are now.
3. The DVD specs are the wrong specs (compared to the DVD I received for review).

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Yup, thanks for the review.

It's interesting to see that the DVDs will be in widescreen after all, contrary to what the press release said. Not the first time that happened with Fox, though.
All I want is for the DVDs to be presented the way the creators wanted it, and in that regard Fox US has my complete trust (unlike Fox in Europe), so I'm very happy about the WS presentation.
Now all I'm curious about is how much music has actually been replaced and if the difference will be noticable to me. I hope they didn't have to replace 80% of the music like Columbia did on Dawson's Creek Season 2.

Anyway, can't wait for the set, my copy is currently somewhere between Canada and Germany. :)

Chris

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone with an advance copy can tell the rest of us which songs have been replaced (any that you recognize, that is) it would be greatly appreciated...

I'm buying the DVDs anyway, for the widescreen eps and extras. But I'd like to know about the songs ahead of time, if possible...just to brace myself. It's a little less disappointing that way. :)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I have no clues what songs were replaced, but I will probably compare what episodes of season 2 Roswell I have on tape (still) to the Roswell S2 DVD set when it comes about. But a nice extra on the S2 set would be to include a list of the songs were replaced and what are the new songs on season 1 and season 2.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
The review over at www crashdown com (my first try at this post got eaten when it kicked back for posting urls as a newbie, grr) says

This is the first confirmation I've seen that the music replacement was supervised by anyone in the original creative team, which is some relief -- I was very worried that the replacement was done by Fox flunkies (or the accounting dept).

There's a terrific site which lists the original music of the series, broken down by episode and scene, at "roswell.na.nu/". I'm sure we music-obsessed fans will start appending it to include the dvd changes as soon as we plow through our dvds.

Guy_Uhler

Grip
I can't wait for this to come out. Roswell was a great show, especially the first season. Does anyone know what the price will be?

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
The Roswell First Season Collection DVD goes for $59.95 SRP, but places like Costco will be selling it under $40 and other places willl be selling it for $40-$50.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Technically, sci-fi only aired the re-runs.

It was a WB show... then a UPN show (for the last season).

I'm picking this one up a little later, once I get some cash... got no $$$. Maybe I'll wait until season 2 hits, then I'll pick them both up.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't ragging on you. :)

I'm really looking forward to getting back into this show. I tuned out after about the first 8 episodes cause I just didn't have time to keep up with it.

Wade K

Second Unit
Picked this up today based on word of mouth. A very interesting story so far (and I'm still on disc 1), but what I really like is the design/color palettes used in the various sets.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Season 1 is great; if you haven't seen it yet, I won't spoil it by mentioning my particular favorites yet.

I got my set in the mail yesterday -- nice to get it right on the release date -- and managed to check out two episodes: "Heat Wave" and "Sexual Healing". Besides the particular aspects of those episodes :) I wanted to check if the Gomez song was still at the end of Heat Wave -- it isn't -- and the commentary with Shiri and Majandra, which was a hoot! A nice mix of scene-specific commentary, reminiscing about the production, and old stories. Plus they had fun with it. It sounds like they were just sitting in a room and not miked directly, because occasionally the volume would drop and their voices sounded a little hollow, but still audible. They talked pretty much the whole time, with just one stretch of about a minute of silence during an interesting scene.

There was an insert explaining the music change, written by Jason Katims. He specifically mentions that they kept the Dido title song, Sarah McLachlan when Max heals Liz, and the Dave Matthews' "Crash Into Me" at the end of the pilot. If Heat Wave is any indication, they may have changed everything else, although I believe the song when Alex is dreaming is the same. For Season 2, I guess they'll have to keep "I Shall Believe", since it's mentioned by name, and maybe Jane Siberry's "Calling All Angels". Also, Nelly Furtado is in Season 2, and Ivy is in Season 3, but maybe the music rights are different since they are actually in the show.

There's an insert that says that Season 2 will be out in the summer (I don't recall them mentioning which year, though....)

The picture looks great. Judging by the many crappy screencaps I've seen, this is the best Roswell has looked for many. The widescreen looks like it has extra stuff on the sides, so you're not "losing" anything.

Highly recommended.

Brett Halsey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
I just got this set from Amazon.com today, when lo and behold I open up disc four's cover and staring back at me is disc one! :thumbsdown: :angry: :frowning:

What a bummer I was really looking forward to watching Roswell, I guess that I'll just have wait a little bit longer to experience Roswell in all of it's widescreen glory.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I have heard about people getting disc one in place of disc four over at the Roswell forum at Media Blvd. So something did get screwed up when some discs were being put into disc four cases.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

AdrianS

Auditioning
Well I've gotten the DVD and watched it.. The music situation is pretty much like the Dawson's Creek DVD.. I think the only songs that stayed were DMB-Crash Into Me, Sarah McLachlan-Fear, Counting Crows Amy Hit the Atmosphere.. and some other ones where the actors are singing along with the song (except for the one in Leaving Normal where they cut out the dad's voice completely but you still see his lips move) I think these are the only songs that stayed..

What do think the chances are they'll release this set in the future with the original music??

P.S. Noone here would no by any chance how to filter dialogue from background music using Final Cut Pro (or another equiv software) would you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks