What's new

Ron's OUTLAW 950/770 review - any comments/questions? (1 Viewer)

Great review...thanks. I am considering upgrading to this pair as well.

You touched on it in the review and I have seen others mention positive things, but I would love to hear more about 2 speaker music reproduction. I use my current Kenwood 309 for both HT and music and it is lacking in the music end.

I have Infinity speakers all around...Overture 2s as my fronts and the Philips 963SA as my source.
Any comments on the Outlaw combo's musicality from owners would be appreciated.

Thanks-
John

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am using the same combo as Ron and the two channel stereo reproduction from by CD collection is nothing but fantastic. I am using Def Tech speakers all the way around. My wife even commented on the fact that our CD collection now sounds "less strained".

I have listened to everything from Jazz to Classical and all I can say is that I am having a hard time removing the smile that I have had on my face. The overall dynamic range from the quietest passages to full blown hard rock has increased dramatically and all of this being handled with no obvious strain on the pre or pro what so ever.

Parker

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
To add to what Parker said, even though the 950 doesn't contain a phono preamp section (most current pre/pros don't, BTW so that's not a knock) I added one to my 950 (A $100 Parasound model) so that I could re-acquaint myself with my vinyl collection. The resulting sound is nothing short of ear-opening.

I'm not claiming that the 950 adds dynamic range that isn't present on the records (due to physical limitations of the medium.) I'm just echoing what Parker's wife, Sue, said when she noted that things sound less strained. The clarity is excellent and one can appreciate the added presence that vinyl offers in lieu of dynamic range, especially with vocals.

I'm not using any special turntable (a resurrected middle of the road SONY that was sitting around until I get to restoring my Bang & Olufsen 4002) and even with a modest setup for vinyl the sound makes me smile. With my record collection now added back into the mix the phrase, "So many discs, so little time" is taken to a whole new level.

:D

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Aww crap. :)

I've been wanting to upgrade my Denon AVR-4800 to separates for some time now and this review doesn't help ! Great work on the review btw. :emoji_thumbsup: ;)

My problem (as with most of us) is that funding is limited at the moment. Just as I have finally managed to save $$$ to upgrade my 32" TV to a 57"+ RPTV now I'm being tempted to put that off and upgrade to this pre/pro combo. At such a great entry level price I'm finding it harder and harder to resist. Not to mention it would actually be a less expensive upgrade atm compared to the TV.

Bah, decisions decisions ...

-Jeramy

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, you listed the title sequence in Star Wars: Episode I and Rhapsody in Blue from Fantasia in your review. Are there any other scenes that stood out when you were going through your favorite DVDs?

I will be evaluating a 950 in the coming weeks (for HT use), and I'm trying to build a checklist of movie scenes to compare for soundtrack, surround localization, and overall clarity.

Thanks,

--Mike

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My problem (as with most of us) is that funding is limited at the moment. Just as I have finally managed to save $$$ to upgrade my 32" TV to a 57"+ RPTV now I'm being tempted to put that off and upgrade to this pre/pro combo. At such a great entry level price I'm finding it harder and harder to resist. Not to mention it would actually be a less expensive upgrade atm compared to the TV.
Jeramy, believe me, you'll get MUCH more impact by making the TV upgrade you're considering than any audio upgrade. Forget the separates and concentrate on your video.

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
Jeramy, I have to second the video over audio recommendation. Good audio and a big picture beats great audio and a small picture, at least for me. After that, I'd have to say good speakers from cheap speaker made a bigger difference for me than the audio source.

--Mike

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Michael:

My test discs included The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, The Fifth Element, Toy Story II, XMen and my Star Trek TNG collection.

The ease at which this unit produces a pleasing sound level starts around -40db from reference without a hint of strain. All five speakers shine when some audio signal is present. There is absolutely no added noise or coloration to the signal. What goes in comes out.

Personally I like a system that can make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I haven't been around a unit that could do that for a long time.

Parker

AaronG

Stunt Coordinator
Parker and Ronald,

Great review!
How do you think the 770 would be with a Denon 3802 instead of the 950? Is this amp a good match with Paradigm Studio 60's, CC, ADP?

Thanks,
Aaron

Robin Casady

Agent
How do you think the 770 would be with a Denon 3802 instead of the 950? Is this amp a good match with Paradigm Studio 60's, CC, ADP?
I started out with a Denon 3802. I ordered the 950 and 770 as a package, but the 950 was delayed. So, I used the 770 with the 3802 for several months. The 770 improved the 3802 considerably. I was concerned that the 950 wouldn't make a noticeable improvement over the 3802. Well, the difference wasn't as significant as adding the 770, but the 950 did improve clarity.

My speakers are

Mains: NHT 2.5i
Center: NHT AudioCenter2
Surrounds: NHT 1.5
Back Surrounds: NHT 1.5
Sub: SVS 25-31PC+

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Aaron:

I can recommend the 770 for attachment to any receiver with preamp outs as it will make a noticeable improvement over any internal amps that a receiver might have. I also can recommend the 770 to drive any set of speakers. At 200 watts per channel x 7 you are going to have plenty of headroom to drive anything. You could always get the 770 and use the Denon to drive it and then later on go and get the 950. The nice thing about this package is that if you get the two of them together you save $200 off the normal price.

The other thing that I like about the 770 is that it makes extensive use of massive heat sinks so you don't have to contend with any fan noise.

Parker

Kevin_Roy

Grip
What do you guys think the sound difference would be between the 750 amp that I have already and the 770?

-Kevin

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator

According to Outlaw's website you can also get the 5 channel amp in a bundle as well. Listed at $2098 for the 950 pre/pro with 755 pwr amp.

-Jeramy

CarltonCobb

Auditioning
I recently sold my very nice sounding parasound psp1500 preamp as I did not want to deal with an analogue AV preamp that requires an external processor. Seems all the solutions these days are processor/preamp combinations. After spending way too much time looking into a replacement for the Parasound I come to the following items:
Outlaw 950
Aragon Soundstage (used)
Classe SSP30 (used)
Krell HTS (used, of course!)

I like the fact that I can acquire the Aragon for about 1400 and upgrade it to current specs for another 800. But, that is over 2k. The cost of the upgrade is almost as much as an outlaw 950...A used Krell HTS can be had for less than 2k but the upgrade to current 7.1 spec is 2500 for non-original owners. So, the real option is to get an outdated Aragon or Classe for about 1300 or the Outlaw for 899. The other option is a slightly used Pioneer Elite TSX49 but that will run 1500 to 1800. So, the Outlaw as a midterm solution that is not upgradeable?

Basic question: if I am used to listening to two channel sound through the Parasound (and my Threshold preamp/Audio Note amp system in the stereo room) how am I going to like this Outlaw 950?

Will it process the newer formats down into a 5.1 physical speaker format (no desire for more than a 5.1 system, thank you! so says the little lady)?

I have already decided I'd keep my existing Adcom GFT 555II tuner due to the mediocre tuner mentioned for the Outlaw.

I assume at least a few other people have gone down the same road I am thinking of; ie, buying a used high end processor vs the Outlaw. Can some of you share your thoughts and results, please? I am tired of selling used AV processors for pennies on the dollar (as we all are).

Thanks,
Carl

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like a great review. And what nice looking components Outlaw makes. For some reason, I just love the look, with the green power buttons and all.

I do have a question, though. Is there any conflict of interest here, since, as I understand it, the reviewer is one of the owners of this board, which is sponsored in part by Outlaw? I mean, it's hard to believe you'd give them a bad review. Also, did you get any kind of deal on those components?

Not trying to be contentious or anything. Just curious. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I do have a question, though. Is there any conflict of interest here, since, as I understand it, the reviewer is one of the owners of this board, which is sponsored in part by Outlaw? I mean, it's hard to believe you'd give them a bad review. Also, did you get any kind of deal on those components?
Now, that's really Ron's business, don't you think? I personally don't think there would be any more of a "conflict of interest" than the average hifi magazine reviewing an advertizers' product. And if he got a special deal on it (which I don't think he did, and I would know, being a former administrator here), good for him! :)

But you know, with Outlaw's "try it at home" policy, anyone can try the units for themselves for the cost of shipping. No review is "the last word", what matters is how does it go in your house.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rob,

I can understand your concerns, and I am happy
to address them.

As owners of this forum, Parker and I did indeed
receive these units at a lesser cost in exchange
for advertising banner.

However....

We make it clearly understood to all our sponsors
that any sort of equipment review will be an unbias
one. In other words, if we don't like the equipment,
we will let our members know the reasons why.

It was very hard for me to say anything negative
about the Outlaw combo. I have never owned separates
before, and you can imagine that there was a
substantial upgrade of sound quality over my older
receiver. There's nothing negative I can say about
such dramatic improvement within my Home Theater.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I attempted to get this combo a while back, but I had to cancel my order (they wouldn't accept checks, and check card has as $1500 hard limit that the bank wouldn't remove) so I ended up not getting this combo, and going for my 57" Sony Widescreen HDTV.

I upgraded the BIOS on my Sony 9000ES and have continued along with that. though I've been secretly lusting after the B&K Reference 50 model now.

Of course, that particular pre-amplifier is just as expensive as this combo you reviewed. I was pleased with your review, because at the time I was going for my failed attempt there was a lot of discussiona bout the 'hiss' that was coming out of the pre-amp. Obviously you did not have that hiss at all.

So hopefully, next time I have an extra $2500 or so coming, I will order this setup. Right now, I could only afford the Pronto TSU3000 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks