What's new

Ron Howard discusses "A Beautiful Mind" (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I haven't seen this on any of the other sites who were involved, but dOc has posted the transcript from Wednesday's press teleconference with Ron Howard. Most of it is about A Beautiful Mind, but it is interesting to see him taking Lucas and Spielberg's side in the revisionist issue.

Chris M

Second Unit
Q: Good morning. What's your opinion on reediting and redefining a film, only to make the newer version the only one available on DVD as opposed to the version audiences may have fallen in love with in the theaters?
R. Howard: Are there examples of that, technically?
Q: Not technically at the moment, but George Lucas has said that when he puts Star Wars out on DVD he's only going to release the special editions and not the original 1977 versions.
R. Howard: That's interesting.
Q: Spielberg is putting ET out, and the original version is going to be available in a collectors set, but the mass price version is going to be the version [with the guns] removed.
R. Howard: What do I think about that? I think, again, when the filmmakers are controlling it, it's okay. If an artist wants to take something down off the museum wall and change something, I hope somebody takes a snapshot of the earlier version just for historical value, but I think the artist ought to be able to do that.
Hmm, at least he hopes "someone will take a snapshot" I hope he meant that he hopes the older version should be available to the public when he says that.
Chris.
Edit: sorry, changed it to what I meant to make it more clear :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just FYI, this wasn't my interview, this was questions from a number of media personel.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
for that stuff. I accepted long ago that there was kind of a theatrical version and then the ancillary version, and I'm really delighted that for people who care that the original format doesn't just vanish with the end of the theatrical release.
[That's my correction on "matte." The transcript is filled with such typos.]
While Ron Howard's answer to the follow-up wasn't encouraging, he did make it clear that he values OAR presentations.
By the way, those OAR questions were mine. The questions before mine were from the New York Daily News and Chicago Tribune; the Indianapolis Star followed me, but I don't recall the rest. It was real professional of Digitally Obsessed to remove the reporter's names and introductions, which are part of the transcript, in its bylined reposting of the transcript. :thumbsdown:

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I'm a big fan of OAR, but it's refreshing to see that some directors have a much more pragmatic approach to these issues than some of us fanatics.
It's also interesting to hear that he thinks of the 4:3 aspect ratio (open matte) when filming his widescreen movies. ie. Perhaps in a sense, both open matte and widescreen for some movies are OAR.
I do find it sad though that Lucas won't release the original version of Star Wars. I much prefer it to the "updated" version.

debi_lee

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your comments, Mr. Salas. It is my job to report news of interest to our readers. Reporters are not the news; the questions and answers are. And the byline is for the intro, obviously.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It is my job to report news of interest to our readers. Reporters are not the news; the questions and answers are.
And just who is asking a question is pretty important to me when I'm reading an interview. If the questions are part of the news, then the identity of the person asking the question is, too. Pure information aside, there is a lot to be gained from the context of the identity of a reporter.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks