What's new

Rolling Stones Hot Rocks Question (1 Viewer)

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Do you know where the live version of Midnight Rambler from "Hot Rocks" comes from? It seems to be longer than the live version on "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" and I wonder if "Hot Rocks" provided the first release of this version, did it?

Also, what about Gimme Shelter also on "Hot Rocks"? Did this song come out before "Hot Rocks"?

I guess what I am trying to ask is: Where did these SPECIFIC versions found on "Hot Rocks" come from?

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Hot Rocks came out in 1972; Let It Bleed (which contains "Gimme Shelter") came out in 1969. It's been awhile since I've listened to HR, but I'm pretty sure that version of "Shelter" is the same as the one on Let It Bleed.
As for "Midnight Rambler," there was a Stones site that told you where that particular rendition came from, but I can't remember where it is. I'll go digging through my Stones books later today and see if that turns up anything. But I can definitely tell you that you'll have to go bootleg shopping if you want that specific concert; it's not on any official live album.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Thanks Kevin,

I forgot that Gimme Shelter was on Let It Bleed and when I did a search on the all music guide it didn't come up because they have it listed as Gimmie Shelter instead of Gimme Shelter.

MikeAW

Second Unit
It still could be from "Get Your Ya Yas" as, according to "It's Only Rock And Roll...The Ultimate Guide to the Rolling Stones" by James Karnbach and Carol Beanson, all songs on the "live album" were allegedly recorded at Madison Square Garden during the 1969 stand there, with the other likely location Philadelphia 1969..."many were later overdubbed and edited"...so once they start doing crap like that, it really could be anyones guess !

Both the Garden and the Philadelphia dates were the subject of seminal soundboard bootlegs on the Swinging Pig label.

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
The version of Midnight Rambler on Hot Rocks is the exact same version as on Get Your Ya-Ya's Out. Listen to the ad-libbed blues harp intro and the half sung, half spoken "talking bout the Midnight Rambler.[a few more harp blasts]....every body go to go" right before the guitars kick in. Bootlegs reveal this to be an ad lib, which changed in lenth, sound and content every night. Same show, same version, same length.

Also listen to the audience in the middle section. You hear a guy yelling out "godamn" after every band blast. (Well you heard about the Boston...WHAM [godamn!], honey, it's not one of those... WHAM [godamn!])

Time differences may be just a matter of where the track officially starts on the CD, the track cueing might have some of the applause assigned to Midnight Rambler on Hot Rocks, where that same applause is still at the end of Love In Vain on Ya-Ya's.

What makes you think they are different? I've never heard that on e before. There is a STUDIO version of Rambler on Let It Bleed, but it is NOT the live version found on Hot Rocks.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Thanks Alex,

I thought they sounded the same but I never really did any back to back comparisons and the two CDs list distinctly different track times, 9:12 on Hot Rocks and 8:32 on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. I didn't necesarily think that the Hot Rocks version was different but I needed some clarification to be sure that I wasn't missing anything by ignoring the Midnight Rambler From Hot Rocks as I love to listen to Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.

After I got a bunch of Stones CDs and the London Years Singles Collection I was surprised to find out that I no longer need Hot Rocks. If it wasn't for Hot Rocks I wouldn't be listening to the Stones but now I no longer need it. I guess that's the way it goes.

P.S. unless you can tell me something that is on Hot Rocks that isn't available on the regular albums.

MikeAW

Second Unit
Paul, again according the aforementioned Stones book, if you have the first US, presumably vinyl pressing, version of the set, there is a different version of "Brown Sugar"..."45 seconds of which is on the 'Gimme Shelter' film soundtrack"...and "an alternate mix of 'Wild Horses'".

These "were corrected after the first pressing".

There was a bootleg of the contents of the "Gimme Shelter" DVD that was just released, so hunt it down if you're interested.

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Additionally, if you hunt down the original European and Japanese CD issues of Hot Rocks, you get several tracks in true stereo that are only currently available in mono (Time is On My Side, Heart of Stone, Mother's Little Helper, Satisfaction, Get Off of My Cloud, Jumpin Jack Flash and Honky Tonk Women - all in stereo). These were available in the mid 80's, appear on the London label and the covers indicate they were mastered by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (MFSL). Each disc of the set was sold separately in it's own jewel case.

Of course, most people who have them are aware that they are now collectibles, and they fetch the big bucks on e-bay...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks