What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It’s Roku Streaking Stick 4K day! If you’ve been reading any of my articles on streaming here on Home Theater Forum, then you know that I’ve been having something of a love-hate relationship with Roku, especially their devices. When the company announced their 2021 product lineup a few months back, I was excited to hear the specs of their new Streaming Stick 4K, set to replace the aging Streaming Stick+ in their lineup.

Continue reading...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
1) I’m on vacation right now and the Roku 4K stick is a good travel gadget. I plugged it into the hotel TV, connected to hotel wifi, and am watching my shows on my streaming services. I’ve got to remember to pack the remote and a pair of AAA batteries. And I’m powering it off my battery pack because there’s no plug nearby and the TV too old to power it from HDMI or USB. It’s not a trivial solution, like watching Netflix on my iPad. But for the mildly tech savvy, the Roku is a solid travel companion.

2) Why are you using a Roku (or any streaming gadget) on a brand-new LG TV? LG has solid apps that work well for all services. Is there something missing from the LG apps?

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
2) Why are you using a Roku (or any streaming gadget) on a brand-new LG TV? LG has solid apps that work well for all services. Is there something missing from the LG apps?
Dave, ARC and I have never gotten along, plus LG only updates their WebOS for three years.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Hey @Todd Erwin whats up with the AppleTV app? Is there really no way to do anything but play the movie on the Roku app? Can’t view trailers, extras nothing?
It’s been that way since day one. It’s also the biggest complaint about the app according to one of the agents I spoke with recently at Apple.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
thanks. We were trying to decide if we should watch Old Henry which I bought at home on my parents Roku. Couldn’t pull up a trailer so chose another film

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I meant to post this info months ago and forgot to. . .my Streaming Stick + had the infamous audio dropout issues (especially with Atmos content) that worsened over time. Back around Black Friday, I decided to try this new one, since the box claimed that it has much-improved wifi. Lo and behold, NO MORE AUDIO DROPOUTS!!! (Well, it occasionally happens on the Hulu app when a commercial ends, but that's clearly an app-specific problem.) I did have to order one of those free extender dongles, which was kind of a hassle, but minor.

For searches: Roku audio dropout issue solved

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks