What's new

Roger Clemens -- amazing (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Isn't 19-1 in itself a statistic?
Anyhow, some valid points have been made about the fact that Clemens' W/L record is a bit bloated. Obviously, as with other discussions here, people have conveniently overlooked these opposing viewpoints. I'm not a Red Sox fan (rather the opposite) but Clemens has gotten some wins that he really didn't deserve. New York has averaged 6.31 runs in Clemens' 29 starts. With that type of support, any above average pitcher is going to win the vast majority of his starts. Also what matters is when Torre pulls him from the game. In his 3 years with the Yanks, he's only had 2 complete games but is 46-19 (as of 9/10/01).
I'm not particularly a fan of Clemens or the Yankees, but I respect them for what they've accomplished. However, I'd say that there's several other pitchers out there that are better than Clemens with worse records.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Now that we've analyzed the Rocket, how about Barry Bonds? He is on the verge of setting the single-season record for homers, walks, and slugging percentage. As much as I don't like his personality, he should be the MVP if San Fran makes the playoffs.
------------------
Home Theater Pictures
[Edited last by Brian Perry on September 10, 2001 at 07:44 AM]

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Joseph, we both know Torre so well, don't we? He's one HELL of a Rainmaker, I tell ya. Nobody -- not even God himself! -- had a clue that storm was comin' in, but the Ol' Skipper, he knew ... he got out those drums, beat 'em up real fierce on the field before anybody got to the stadium...man, I haven't seen flooding on the Deegan like that in years!
Yep...Ol' Skipper, he didn't care about the 50,000 fans, all he wanted was to push Clemens one game back to face the other Sox, coz everybody knows that the BoSox pitching was so great that they would've shut down the Yankees once and for all (well, okay, maybe just once). So Joe calls on the thunder god, and the field gets sloshed rather heavily...that poor WaterHog field-cleaner couldn't hope to do its job fast enough!
And of course the umpires didn't care one lick for the safety of the players, they just wanted to appease the fans, they wanted to play ball of course. But they caved under Torre's fiery stare -- as well as Cashman and the whole Yankee management -- and they called the game ... all so Clemens can breathe a huge sigh of relief from not having to face the superior (1-9) BoSox and start the next night instead against the obviously weaker ChiSox (6-4).
Yes, I think you're right, Joeseph. The Skipper calls down the Wrath of God, so that Clemens could have a better outing the very next day. Hmm...I guess that's why they call him the Skipper :)
(All in jest...)
------------------

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Dana,
This isn't the time, but that wasn't my point. He was moved to face Bos, Tam, Tam, Chi instead of Chi, Tam, Det or Bal, Chi.

chris rick

Second Unit
He may be one of the great pictures, but he is a total ass when it comes to being a person. The whole Piazza thing was one of the most unsportsmanlike things I've ever seen in my life.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Thought I'd return this to the forefront, now that baseball will be resuming tonight (Monday).
I don't think the Yanks are playing tonight, and I'm not sure what their schedule will be (they're listed on CNN as playing the ChiSox tomorrow in Chicago).
I don't know how to react, really...I want the Rocket to get his 20th win, but I can't imagine him -- or ANY baseball player -- feeling that great moment of overflowing pride that everybody would normally celebrate, not at a time like this. Seattle, who has had an incredible winning streak this year, is so subdued that they said if they weren't going to the champion series they'd call it quits...it's going to be tough to be in the true spirit of the game.
But the show must go on, as they say. I can hope that, for each K that Roger gets, he's thinking, "For *them*." And for each home run that Bonds gets, he's thinking, "For *them*." And each cheer the crowd makes, every person in the stand thinks, "For *them*." And each word sung in the national anthem before the game...dedicated to those victims and families of the tragedies last week...for *them*.
--
Dana
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks