What's new

Robotech Remastered worth getting? (1 Viewer)

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
So I'm using the Deep Discount DVD sale to get box sets (i.e. Highlander, Quantum Leap) and upgrade my current collection to the special edition versions (i.e. Field of Dreams, The Rock), when I came across the remastered DVDs of the Robotech Macross Saga.

I already have the original "Legacy" box sets of all three sagas, but was wondering how much of a difference the remastering made. I know there are some added scenes, but they're also missing that extra bonus disc stuff, right? I read some Amazon reviews on the remastering, and the reviews were split 50/50 on actual quality. So I guess you guys are my next stop. Anyone own or rent the remastered Robotech discs who could tell me if it's worth upgrading for?

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
So I'm using the Deep Discount DVD sale to get box sets (i.e. Highlander, Quantum Leap) and upgrade my current collection to the special edition versions (i.e. Field of Dreams, The Rock), when I came across the remastered DVDs of the Robotech Macross Saga.

I already have the original "Legacy" box sets of all three sagas, but was wondering how much of a difference the remastering made. I know there are some added scenes, but they're also missing that extra bonus disc stuff, right? I read some Amazon reviews on the remastering, and the reviews were split 50/50 on actual quality. So I guess you guys are my next stop. Anyone own or rent the remastered Robotech discs who could tell me if it's worth upgrading for?

Eric F

Screenwriter
I decided to sell my old Robotech sets and purchase all three original series. You can get both Mospeada and Southern Cross sets on eBay for $20-$30, and Macross for

Eric F

Screenwriter
I decided to sell my old Robotech sets and purchase all three original series. You can get both Mospeada and Southern Cross sets on eBay for $20-$30, and Macross for

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
What's Animeigo's Macross remaster?

These are the DVDs I'm talking about: dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000530053214&searchID=292548&item_id=594331

Versus the ones I already have:
dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000530053214&searchID=292548&item_id=35267

Just wondering about how different they are in terms of quality.

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
What's Animeigo's Macross remaster?

These are the DVDs I'm talking about: dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000530053214&searchID=292548&item_id=594331

Versus the ones I already have:
dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000530053214&searchID=292548&item_id=35267

Just wondering about how different they are in terms of quality.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Robotech was essentially adapted from 3 seperate Japanese shows: Macross (Macross Saga), Genesis Climber Mospeada (Robotech New Generation) and Super Dimensional Cavalry - Southern Cross (Robotech Masters). Animeigo took the original Macross series and remastered it:
http://www.animeigo.com/images/macross.t

The Robotech Remastered uses the same masters that Animeigo used for theirs. It looks mighty nice. If you're interested in the full story, I highly recommend the original versions- it's a real eye opener, especially after seeing Robotech.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Robotech was essentially adapted from 3 seperate Japanese shows: Macross (Macross Saga), Genesis Climber Mospeada (Robotech New Generation) and Super Dimensional Cavalry - Southern Cross (Robotech Masters). Animeigo took the original Macross series and remastered it:
http://www.animeigo.com/images/macross.t

The Robotech Remastered uses the same masters that Animeigo used for theirs. It looks mighty nice. If you're interested in the full story, I highly recommend the original versions- it's a real eye opener, especially after seeing Robotech.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Plus if you use DVD Price Search and general Google searches, you can find the Animeigo versions for $40 a box or less (each box has 3 discs and originally sold for $60+).

A few months ago when I first heard about the Remasters I did some searching and someone had posted that the Remasters weren't up to the quality of the Animeigo versions. I don't remember exactly why they felt they weren't up to the quality though...Google is your friend! ;)

I did eventually buy all three boxes, a couple from Overstock and one from DDD I think. I can't complain: the quality is really great (keeping in mind that it's a cartoon from the 80's).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Plus if you use DVD Price Search and general Google searches, you can find the Animeigo versions for $40 a box or less (each box has 3 discs and originally sold for $60+).

A few months ago when I first heard about the Remasters I did some searching and someone had posted that the Remasters weren't up to the quality of the Animeigo versions. I don't remember exactly why they felt they weren't up to the quality though...Google is your friend! ;)

I did eventually buy all three boxes, a couple from Overstock and one from DDD I think. I can't complain: the quality is really great (keeping in mind that it's a cartoon from the 80's).

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I would recommend avoiding any DVD release with the word "Robotech" in the title, and get the original Japanese series that Eric F. mentioned.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I would recommend avoiding any DVD release with the word "Robotech" in the title, and get the original Japanese series that Eric F. mentioned.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
They look far better than the Legacy sets, yes. And you're correct that they do not duplicate the bonus features of the Legacy sets.

However, they have new 5.1 soundtracks that were mixed by a half-deaf engineer who has no concept of subtlety. New, bright and excessively loud sound effects fill the surrounds, drowning out the limited-range voice track in the center channel. Overindulgent foley rattles you with bleeps and bloops and clangs for the most insignificant onscreen activity. And the original mono mix is not included (which would be impossible due to the extra footage).

All they had to do was replace the footage with the remaster, and it would've been perfect. Okay, they didn't have the original EDLs, big deal. Eyeball it. I do it all the time.

I took Robotech Remastered back to the store.

(P.S. This belongs in TV. :) )

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
They look far better than the Legacy sets, yes. And you're correct that they do not duplicate the bonus features of the Legacy sets.

However, they have new 5.1 soundtracks that were mixed by a half-deaf engineer who has no concept of subtlety. New, bright and excessively loud sound effects fill the surrounds, drowning out the limited-range voice track in the center channel. Overindulgent foley rattles you with bleeps and bloops and clangs for the most insignificant onscreen activity. And the original mono mix is not included (which would be impossible due to the extra footage).

All they had to do was replace the footage with the remaster, and it would've been perfect. Okay, they didn't have the original EDLs, big deal. Eyeball it. I do it all the time.

I took Robotech Remastered back to the store.

(P.S. This belongs in TV. :) )

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
The Animeigo Macross set is the way to go. The picture quality is great and it has the original Japanese mono track. The original story is so much more fascinating than Robotech's dumbed down version.

In fact, I avoid Robotech like the plague. Sure, it turned me on to Japanese animation, but damn, its downright unwatchable compared to the source material.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
The Animeigo Macross set is the way to go. The picture quality is great and it has the original Japanese mono track. The original story is so much more fascinating than Robotech's dumbed down version.

In fact, I avoid Robotech like the plague. Sure, it turned me on to Japanese animation, but damn, its downright unwatchable compared to the source material.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't know of any sites, but if it has the word "Robotech" in the title, it is a dubbed and edited version. Get the Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada DVDs instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks