Robotech Remastered worth getting?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Shocking as it may seem, there probably are people who want to see Macek's final product, if only out of historical interest. Not I, but somebody. I actually bought a couple of ROBOTECH laserdiscs once, to donate to a library which already had some of the contiguous volumes.

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'll echo this - that's two fine replies from that fellow.

I have been buying the 'remastered' sets as they come out. I didn't catch the first 'Legacy' sets (too pricey). I didn't catch the series sets either. I picked these up as they were cheap. As far as I can see, the sound was remastered and some noises replaced (and the discs are 5.1 only - no 2.0 or mono mixes, so it might sound like crap if you're not speakered up). Robotech purists don't like the some of the changes, but they're fine by me. We've already heard from the anti-Robotech crowd.

From what I've the picture doesn't appear to be the restored version others have spoken of that was done for the original (non-Macek) three series. It's still grainy, has some dirt and glitches, some colour gaffes, and so on. But for the casual fan like myself, the price point sold me (plus the accompanying veritech desk toys). The mega-fans are probably better served with the Legacy sets; these remastered sets have no 'on topic' extras to speak of.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hm, I have the single-box sets of the first two Robotech series, and they don't have bonus discs. Am I missing something?

And guys, seriously -- Macross, Mospaeda, and Southern Cross are COMPLETELY different from Robotech -- telling him to get them instead isn't very helpful. (Not that he shouldn't try them out too!)

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
you can find reviews for robotech remastered
at www.animeondvd.com
they give it a good review, based on the review there I will buy them soon.
I know its not the japanese version of macross, but I grew up with the american voices,songs, and background music.
imhappy that they added the missing scenes from the japanese version (min may shower scene)
does anyone know if its still missing scenes from the original japanese?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
It would still be missing any additional footage that involved dialogue, as they were working with the original 1984 voiceover recordings and didn't record anything new.

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator

I actually already own the original Legacy sets for the entire series run. Some boxes are still-in-shrinkwrap since I never got around to watching them.

I doubt they'd be worth keeping just to have the fourth bonus disc in each box in addition to the remastered ones, but if I can get $8 each for each regular disc in trade at Blockbuster, it'd basically be a lateral move to get the remastered.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dav