Robocop Special Edition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee_eel, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Just read that Robocop Special Edition will be released in September. I am confused because i thought this disc was already released on region 2! Could someone clear this up for me please?

2. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

i think RoboCop is being released separately from the trilogy box that was released earlier this year.

3. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Are we talking the Director's Cut here? I wanted to pick this up from either R2 or R4 beacuse it is 16:9 unlike my Criterion version but read that when viewing the DC there is a slight pause between every added scene, almost like a layer change. It is because of the extended branching of scenes. The theatrical cut plays fine. Maybe they are re-pressing this disc for this reason.

4. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

The region 2 dvd contains the theatrical and director's cut via "seamless" branching,but unlike region 1 branched dvds,they don't seem to have been able to do it right.I think the branching looks bad and will replace my copy when MGM release the director's cut in the U.S.

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Stephen...

The R2 U.K. & Japanese discs and R4 Australian discs do not currently use seamless DVD branching. They use extended DVD branching which produces a slight pause.

6. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

7. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

The branching is not too bad on my Sony players (less time than layer change), other makes of player however do have noticeable delays. Also R2 will not play in some Toshibas although I think R4 is okay.

Lee as you are in the UK there is no point waiting for the single disk as most retailers currently have the 3 disk boxset of all the films (even though 2 & 3 are rubbish) on promo for less than the rrp of the single disk SE of the first film.