What's new

Robert Blake in 'LOST HIGHWAY' really FREAKED me out man! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ya know, I have always heard about this film but have never seen it, I usually don't care for David Lynch, but I caught it on HBO the other night, forgive me please there was nothing else on. :)
Anyway, let me just say that I cannot get that EXTREMLY creepy charactor played by Robert Blake out of my head! The whole time during that party scene when he tells Bill Pullman that "I'm at your house right now. Call me.", I was horridly transfixed on Blakes eye's and that bizarre white face! I think that watching this film in pan n scan (sorry guys) made it much worse, his face was RIGHT THERE!
This charactor he played in this film reminded me of bad dreams I used to have when I was little, about dead people running after me trying to get me! Simply put, he scared the crap out of me in a very psychological way.
What was he anyway? The devil or something? It was a pretty decent film, very scary at times too, i'm just not 100% sure of what happened though. I'll say this, if David Lynch ever did a straight up horror film, we could be looking at the next 'Exorcist'!
I have to see it again on dvd this time in it's OAR, it was aweful in pan n scan.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I have only seen this movie once, when it was in theaters, but I loved every minute of it. Yes, I agree that the Robert Blake character is REALLY scary, in a menacing, threatening, mysterious way, not just the regular horror-movie-villain way.

/Mike

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I saw this film twice theatrically. Great film, and a very notable performance by Robert Blake. Especially his laugh in the same scene that you mention. I like when Pullman basically asks him how it's possible that he's on the phone and Blake says "Ask me". This film also sports one of my favorite opening credit sequences, speeding down a dark, desolate highway at night while David Bowie's "I'm Deranged" plays is just a thrilling cinematic experience. I knew I was in for something special.

Russ Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, don't apologize for watching it in pan and scan. Until whoever owns the rights gets their act together and releases an OAR DVD, there's no alternative.

And, while I assume there's some substantial complication that is holding up that DVD (I know there's a thread out there documenting the whole "When will it come?" saga), from a marketing POV, now's the time to be getting Lynch DVDs onto the market, while he's on peoples' minds with Mulholland Drive, the Twin Peaks DVDs and the Blue Velvet SE.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The screenplay is pretty fantastic.. here is the scene in question:
RB: "We've met before, haven't we?"
"I don't think so. Where was it that you think we've met?"
RB: "At your house. Don't you remember?"
"No, no I don't. Are you sure?"
RB: "Of course. In fact, I'm there right now."
"What do you mean? You're where right now?"
RB: "At your house.
"That's absurd."
RB:
"Call me.
Dial your number.
Go ahead."

RB (phone): "I told you I was here."
"How did you do that?"
RB: "Ask me."
(angrily)
"How did you get into my house?"
RB (phone): "You invited me. It's not my habit to go where I'm not wanted."
"Who are you?"
RB: "Give me my phone back.
It's been a pleasure talking to you."

But the creepiest quote from Robert Blake's character has to be:
"In the east ... the far
east... when a person is sentenced to
death... they're sent to a place where
they can't escape... never knowing when
an executioner will step up behind them
and fire a bullet into the back of their
head... it could be days... weeks... or
even years after the death sentence has
been pronounced... This uncertainty adds
an exquisite element of torture to the
situation, don't you think? It's been a
pleasure talking to you."
Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks