What's new

Riser and Carpet questions.. (1 Viewer)

Mike Camm

Agent
Hey all ... I need some advice from all you HT gurus....

I just finished putting up my riser section:
http://www.cammsplace.com/htpics/DSC01359.JPG

And I have a question about putting carpet on the risers... Before I put carpet over the risers...

Do I just sand down the edge of the riser like this:
http://www.cammsplace.com/htpics/DSC01360.JPG

OR

Do I put on some 1/2 round on the edge like this:
http://www.cammsplace.com/htpics/DSC01361.JPG

Now.. seeing how I live in Florida.. I dont have a large amount of risers and staircases to reference... But I seem to remember when I lived in Pa .. that all the stair steps had the little lip on the edge... (now I'm assuming the lip is made with 1/2 round) .. Does the lip serve a specific purpose with putting carpet over top.. ? Does it bennefit the carpet.. or have a function.. or just for looks.. ?

And .. does it matter if I use a thicker, plush carpet.. or should I stick with something thin ?

Please help.. I appreciate any advice

Camm in Clearwater

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Camm, do you plan on putting carpet on the riser and then tucking it "under" the lip or having it "waterfall" down the rise? Those are the two ways one carpets riser treads...in eather case one does not need to put a 1/2 round or anything like that. Most put thos 1/2 rounds or another edging when they are tucking the carpet underneath the lip to say hide rope light or something...so to answer your question...an edge is NOT necessary unless you plan on doing something "particular" with the riser that I'm not aware of.

E

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I was going to use the 1/2 round but ran out of time before the carpet installers got there so they just did the water fall look and it work out fine, I think it would have looked a little classier with the lip so if I had to do it again I think I would have put it in. And like Erik said it makes it easier to hide lighting under there.

Wes

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
As Erik said I think it is a matter of preference, function and a desire for a certain look. I've seen risers carpeted both ways and they've looked great.

One thing you may want to take into consideration is the carpet you will be using. If you go without the 1/2 round you need to make sure that when it is pulled over the edge you can't see the backing through the pile. The 1/2 round will allow a more "gentle" curve so there is less chance of this happening.

Personally I've gone with the 1/2 round, but again it was a simple matter of taste rather than function as I will not have any lighting under the lip.

Mike Camm

Agent
Hey guys.. thanks for the info...

Yeah Chip.. that was my next question .. if the 1/2 round added to the carpet .. by not seeing the backing of the carpet.

I plan on having Home Depot do the carpeting.. and I was going to use some pretty think and plush stuff.. and I was worried about being able to see the backing.. so If I use the 1/2 round that will help that out with making a softer edge...

Should I also be looking at not going with a plush carpet.. ? Maybe something thinner and more compact ?
Im assuming for this reason on stairs and risers.. you see generally thin carpet as opposed to shag or very plush stuff.. ?

What do you guys think ?

thanks again..
Camm in Clearwater

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Here is how I did mine. Just one more option to think about.

I used a metal edge made for stairs to terminate the carpet, and a bullnose piece of oak hardwood flooring also made for stairs. I had to trim the vertical piece of the metal edge as it was a little too long. I also had the lumber yard where I bought the hardwood piece to route a channel in the back edge to fit the curved surface of the rope lights, but it turned out that wasn't really necessary after all. I installed a thick pad under the carpet, not only for sound absorption, but to bring the carpet up to the same level as the hardwood edging. The rope lights simply lay in the channel between the two, no clips or hold downs were needed which makes it easy if I ever need to replace it.
I think it turned out nice. My goal was to make it look like the aisle lighting in theaters, but to also make the riser step visible during a movie in case anyone got up.

Steve

Mike Camm

Agent
Steve... thats beautiful.. looks great !!! Thanks for another idea.. ! How thick is the carpet you put down.. ?

And also where your carpet meets your wall on the side of the riser.. ? Do you have any molding or trim pieces there ? It looks from the pic that the carpet touches the wall .. or that you have some 1/4 round down... I cant tell.. just curious tho.. because .. I didnt know if I should run the carpet right up to the wall or put down some type of trim or baseboard or something...

Thanks again for the info.. I greatly appreciate it !

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Mike, put down the thickest carpet pad you can afford...for that will keep the wear and tear on the carpet itself to a minimum. I chose industrial carpet for my theater because I wanted that look, but many choose more standard or more plush carpets...it's a style and look thing. One thing to remember, the more plush the carpet, the more wear you will notice on the riser edge from folks walking/stepping up and down...again, why a thick carpet pad is all the more necessary.

I would run a baseboard along the bottom of your walls so the carpet can be tucked underneath it...the other option is the carpet installers will just bring the carpet right up flush to your wall. Again, this is up to you and what kind of look you're going for.

Remember, a 1/2 round or any other type of edging is NOT necessary on the riser edge for carpet installers staple the carpet to the underneath side of the run and then begin the next piece of carpet at the top of the rise...as opposed to the waterfall that just drops down over the lip of the riser and then is attached at the back of the next step below...again, an edge is added just for looks or to hide rope lights or for some other design elements.

In short, get thick pad, carpet of your choosing that matches the look you're going for in your room, if it were me I'd add baseboards, and then a riser edging may not be needed but if you're doing rope lights under there then I'd recommend it (and make sure it hangs down at least 1 1/2").

I've done most of what I've talked about and it can be seen at my website...just follow the link below!

Have fun!

E

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
For the sides, next to the wall,I used the same metal stair lip trim as is used between the carpet and the hardwood. The carpet is a comercial style carpet for long wear and ease of cleaning, it's a very low pile carpet, but, like I said, I put a thick pad under it to lift it up level with the wood trim.
I'm sorry about the quality of the picture. My digtal camera is terrible.
If you need any further clarification, just ask.

Steve

Edited to say:
I missunderstood your question, I think. I have baseboards on the wall all around the room, including the area o n the side of the riser you asked about.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about building a riser in my new home, do you find a one-step riser is sufficient? I was thinking of a two step one. How tall do you generally make your risers?

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I was limited by my ceiling height. I needed as much rise as I could get so that the second row could see the bottom of the screen (another result of a low ceiling, screen is mounted a bit low), but I didn't want people bumping thier heads on the ceiling either. I decided to leave 6'2" of headroom for the back row and that determined my riser height (don't remember for sure, 8"-10" I think).

Steve

Mike Camm

Agent
thanks Chip, Erik, and Steve... I appreciate the input... I think Im gonna go with the 1/2 round on the edge... and go check out mayber a thinner carpet.. to save some wear and tear ...

Thx for all the help... !!

Camm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks