What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

RIP Tom Petty (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just saw him again in July and amazing as always.

I've always loved that Back Pages clip. At first I only had the CD version and it was fun trying to figure out who was singing what :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Before all of this ever went down
In another place, another town
You were just a face in the crowd
Out in the street walking around
A face in the crowd
Out of a dream, out of the sky
Into my heart, into my life
And you were just a face in the crowd
Out in the street, thinking out loud
A face in the crowd
Into my…
Into my heart, into my life
And you were just a face in the crowd
Out in the street, walking around
A face in the crowd
Face in the crowd
A face in the crowd
A face in the crowd

he was never just a face in the crowd, but many of us were, the best is the audience just taking over Breakdown

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Coolest thing is he was friends with Garry Shandling. His moments on the show I'll never forget, especially the Christmas one. The First Noel the Angels did...SWING! :D

Hoping for him to pull through. Other singers have hit the bottom and come back up. Randy Travis comes to mind.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am hoping Tom Petty pulls through this and has a full recovery! It is hard to know what is going on because there no one seems to know what is going on right now!

Edit!

http://ktla.com/2017/10/02/heartbreakers-frontman-tom-petty-dies-at-66-family-says/

According to this Tom Petty has passed at age 66! Very sad! My condolences to his family.

Yeah, the media jumped the gun earlier today, as usual, but this time it's been confirmed.

Hell of a career. He even had that great stretch from '89-'95 that avoided the worst of the pop excesses of the era.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have never seen such a horrible job at reporting in my life! How hard is it to get the story straight and get it right? That and the confusion is the worst especially for such a well known entertainer!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
first album, in High School, till now, 8-Tracks, cassettes, to CD's been through it all, with the Heartbreakers, Stevie, The Solo albums and The Traveling Wilburys, plus the songwriting for other artist. Damn this hurts, Voice as original as another favorite, Cash and just as influential.
RIP Tom, you wrote the soundtrack to a lot of peoples lives.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
RIP Tom, you wrote the soundtrack to a lot of peoples lives.

You said it Dana. The summer of 1990 I was skateboarding everyday (16 years old, what a blast)with my friends, and 'Free Fallin' was on the radio all the time. I already liked the easy going, peaceful rock song with nice lyrics. But my friends and I loved the music video because it featured Skateboarders. I was a fan ever since then.

When I hear the song now it always brings me back to the best summer ever.

Rest In Peace Tom.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My dear friend Justin and I were talking about our Tom Petty memories earlier this evening, and when he asked me if I had a favorite song, this specific performance of this particular song is what came to mind first. There are a million other great choices and they can all fight for #2 on my list, but I got the DVD this performance (High Grass Dogs) was from during my first week of college, and it's stuck with me ever since:

(The technical quality of the disc is frustrating because it was shot on film but edited on tape for a 4x3 frame - but the footage is often 2.35:1 within that 4x3 frame.. but sometimes switches to 4x3 or other shapes within that frame so you can't just zoom in on a widescreen TV. I would love for this to someday be remastered in HD, because the performances from this disc are intimate and unique and unlike any of his other live recordings. It's a truly special performance stuck on a mediocre disc - but once the music starts, it's easy to forgive the technical shortcomings. If you're a fan, don't let it put you off on a purchase - I still highly recommend it)

I can't really process all of this yet; there will probably be more posts and more ramblings to follow.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"I loved Tom Petty and I covered his songs because I wanted to know what it felt like to fly." - John Mayer

Mayer's version:

Someone's recording from the night I saw Petty this summer:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
He was not a favorite of mine but he had many songs that I really liked and who can forget the music videos on MTV. Tom Petty was a great musician and influenced many throughout his life and he will be missed. It is hard to believe he is gone already.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have never seen such a horrible job at reporting in my life! How hard is it to get the story straight and get it right? That and the confusion is the worst especially for such a well known entertainer!

Sadly, I have and much worse than this on many occasions. This one was just about the desire to report a celebrity death first...which is disgusting but sells advertisements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks