What's new

RIP Gordon Willis (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Close to his birthday. Several of his work are my all-time top-favourite movies.
Thanks mr. Willis. You're missed already.

RIP.

Cees

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Not to mention
TravisR said:
The man leaves a legacy of great work behind- Klute, The Godfather movies, All The President's Men.
And let's not forget his work on Woody Allen's films, including Annie Hall and Manhattan. The man was arguably THE cinematographer of the 70s.

R.I.P.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
And a true Prince of Darkness. Willis' skill in low light was astounding, not to mention his work in Woody Allen's Zelig. His skill will be sorely missed.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hunh. I just had my annual re-watching of All the President's Men (the original, not the Blu-remastering). From a visual standpoint, that film and The Godfather duology epitomize the look of that decade.

The work of most cinematographers, even good ones, usually can't be distinguished. They adapt themselves to the needs of the director. Toland and Willis are the only two I can think of offhand whose styles remained consistent.

And oddly, they were sort of the opposite of one another. Toland with his deep-focus, and Willis with that compressed, deliberately two-dimensional, tableau-effect he loved, and which, together with his love of darkness, gave an amazing formal quality to The Godfather films. A genuine artist.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Depends from which tradition of DoPs they come. You can spot a Geoffrey Unsworth film at 100 yards. Same with a Jordan Cronenweth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks