What's new

Riders to the Stars / On the Threshold of Space - no good copies available? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just wanted to double check if anyone knew differently - there are no good copies of either “Riders to the Stars” or “On the Threshold of Space” available, right? I don’t even care if it’s DVD, streaming, whatever - I’m enjoying my usual summer vintage space themed movie rewatch and I’ve never seen either of those films due to not being able to find copies of them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just wanted to double check if anyone knew differently - there are no good copies of either “Riders to the Stars” or “On the Threshold of Space” available, right? I don’t even care if it’s DVD, streaming, whatever - I’m enjoying my usual summer vintage space themed movie rewatch and I’ve never seen either of those films due to not being able to find copies of them.
"Riders to the Stars" is on Amazon:

Though it currently requires a sub to something called ScreenPix - though it appears you get some kind of free trial. I watched it before it went to a sub service. It was a fairly passable copy - don't know about the sub version though..

Good luck!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Here's some screenshots from TCM---

20220715-162351.JPG

20220715-162401.JPG

20220715-162635.JPG

And William Lundigan ("the voice with a smile") before he starred in 1959 TV series "Men Into Space."

20220715-163034.JPG

20220715-162658.JPG

20220715-162702.JPG

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
Ugh, I saw that too - the DVD part doesn’t bother me but the pan and scan does.
Though, is the version available through Amazon really pan-and-scan, or simply an open matte version of a film that would have been masked in theaters? Looks like TCM showed an un-masked version---heck of a lot of head room in those frame grabs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Though, is the version available through Amazon really pan-and-scan, or simply an open matte version of a film that would have been masked in theaters? Looks like TCM showed an un-masked version---heck of a lot of head room in those frame grabs.

I think the TCM Riders is open matte, so I could work with that. The DVD Threshold is pan and scan from CinemaScope so that’s something I try to avoid as much as possible.

Mark Stevens

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Stevens
ON THE THRESHOLD OF SPACE is one of those mid-50s Fox films that the company evidently feels is not worth the trouble of doing a new widescreen transfer for. I recorded it off Fox Movie Channel about 14 years ago and it was the same pan-and-scan, non-stereo sound transfer that had run on local stations from the 70's on. A few years back I managed to badger the great boutique soundtrack label, Intrada, into releasing Lyn Murray's great score for THRESHOLD (in stereo) on CD, coupled with the Paul Sawtell score for Fox's THE HUNTERS. Unfortunately, it's now out of print.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
ON THE THRESHOLD OF SPACE is one of those mid-50s Fox films that the company evidently feels is not worth the trouble of doing a new widescreen transfer for. I recorded it off Fox Movie Channel about 14 years ago and it was the same pan-and-scan, non-stereo sound transfer that had run on local stations from the 70's on. A few years back I managed to badger the great boutique soundtrack label, Intrada, into releasing Lyn Murray's great score for THRESHOLD (in stereo) on CD, coupled with the Paul Sawtell score for Fox's THE HUNTERS. Unfortunately, it's now out of print.

Thanks for the info. Was able to get the Intrada CD from Ebay for $20. Another brand-new CD is also listed.

Front CD.png
Back CD.png

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Youtube has a 96-minute THRESHOLD to view. Tantalizing because of the opening with credits---

20220717-175846.JPG

20220717-175854.JPG

20220717-175913.JPG

And last shot---

20220717-180142.JPG

20220717-180151.JPG

But everything else is P&S. Cut from main credits to---

20220717-180035.JPG

From IMDB biography of John Hodiak---

"On the morning of October 19, 1955, 41-year-old John suffered a coronary thrombosis and died instantly while shaving in the bathroom of his home. He was on his way to the 20th Century-Fox lot to complete final work on his last film, On the Threshold of Space (1956), when he was stricken.

"The movie was released posthumously with John's role left intact. While no previous record of a heart ailment, per se, was ever uncovered, the hypertension that kept him out of the service, at a relatively young age, no doubt contributed to his death..."

Last edited:

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Of the two listings on youtube, both were posted in 2022, the one mentioned above on June 14.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks