What's new

Rich Man, Poor Man (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Why is this out in England but not here? Is there some kind of rights issue? And Book 2 has not come out anywhere.

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator
Mark -

I have been wondering that myself. It was the first mini-series ever and should definitely be out on DVD in the US. I know I would buy it.

Robin

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, as much as I loved RMPH, it was not the first. That honor goes to The Forsyte Saga (1967)- BBC, which is on DVD. The first US miniseries was most likely QB VII (1973), which is also on DVD. Considering what a major hit RMPH was and how it opened the floodgates for everything that followed, a DVD release is sooooo overdue! Universal owns it, hopefully they're working on it as we speak.

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator
Okay so it wasn't THE first mini-series but was ONE of the first US mini-series. :)

It still should have been on DVD a long time ago.

Robin

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Arguably, so should North & South. But I just found out that it's coming, and posted news about that last night.

But note, that's not even an official announcement. I found out about that "under the table", so-to-speak. Ask Warner about it, and they will probably simply tell you "that's not on our schedule yet". And rightfully so...it's not, technically. That doesn't mean it's not coming. Because it is!

For all we know, RMPM is also at work, and noone connected with the project has spilled the beans yet. Universal was working on Columbo, very quietly up until yesterday. And now we've posted news about that, another unannounced item that seems to be coming rather soon.

Hang on, RMPM might be just around the corner. NBC-Uni surely recognizes the potential for sales on it!

On the other hand, I might not have a clue what I'm talking about.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I thought Roots: The Next Generations was coming out this year for its 25th Anniversary?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
If the term "miniseries" can be extended to anything that aired in at least two parts on successive nights, then that honor in the US goes to "Vanished" (1971).

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm very glad to hear that "North and South" is in the pipeline. Another great decision by WB. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Unless the NBC/GE management exerts some influence on what titles that Universal will release now, well I'm not going to hold my breath on "Rich Man, Poor Man". I'd probably suffocate. If I decide to buy "Rich Man, Poor Man" I'll get the R2 version.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Just to let anyone know that might be interested in the R2 RMPM set, I received this set recently and the transfers aren't very good, but it's still "RMPM" so I'm :) 'ing anyway. Since it's been out in R2 for nearly 3 yrs I "broke down" and got the R2 set. It's held up over time as well as I thought it would. Great early miniseries with a lot of talented performers throughout. No "extras" in this set though.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I broke down and bought it this week as well. No, the transfers aren't the greatest but this was such a great miniseries. If it hadn't been overshadowed so soon by Roots it would be much better remembered. This was the one that kicked off the entire craze. I'm not holding my breath for Book 2 however. I'll transfer those from my tapes.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i picked up Rich Man, Poor Man for $25.00 from amazon.com. I could not resist the deal. I was very young when it came out. However, it does interest as the acting/actors in the mini-series were very good. They sure do not make TV shows like this anymore.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by younger1968
i picked up Rich Man, Poor Man for $25.00 from amazon.com. I could not resist the deal. I was very young when it came out. However, it does interest as the acting/actors in the mini-series were very good. They sure do not make TV shows like this anymore.

Paul,

You'll like the view down memory lane for this one. I bought the R1 set recently. It's in my top list of mini-series shows.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have completed Book 1 of the series and it was neat watching the characters developed over the first book. I found the images and scripts very good with enough focus on the two brothers different paths. Ed Asner as the father was very good, especially with the struggles with his home life and business.

I have started watching Book 2 of the series, but, it is different due to the fact that Nolte and Susan Blakely's character are killed off earlier on the in the book 2 and the book focus more on Peter Strauss's character and the offsprings. The direction is different with kids, especially watching them grow up along the way as story focuses more on the late 1960s and the early 1970s. That particular era is appealing to me, because it is when i was born and Vietnam war and peace was talk of the time. I am looking forward to watching the remaining episodes of the series.

I am glad for DVD, because it is good show to watch people and lives evolve over periods of time. I think you could do the show over again, espeically with todays reality.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Paul, please refrain from revealing major plot points without a SPOILER WARNING preceding it. I'm sure there are people who read this thread that may not have seen the series before. Thanks!

I'm glad they released it and I didn't have a problem with the mediocre video, but the fact that they included some syndicated prints and didn't show Robert Reed's complete nude scene bother me.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

Paul, please refrain from revealing major plot points without a SPOILER WARNING preceding it. I'm sure there are people who read this thread that may not have seen the series before. Thanks!

You can find out about plot with or without my posting my reading the tv.com and/or different sites. I was just stating the flow and how it was very good and difference between book 1 and book 2.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

Walker, good point about the spoiler reminders. There's a surprise ending to the series (bk 2 ending). I recall that one of the characters appeared on the Johnny Carson Show a couple of days before the ending aired and Johnny tried to get the ending info from the performer. Of course that was all "scripted" in the Carson show but it was fun to watch at the time.

Paul, glad you're enjoying the set. I've seen this miniseries more than 2 times and for me, it's among my top "re-watchability" sets.

You're right about Ed Asner in Bk 1. Outstanding performance. Nick Nolte was as well. In fact, besides his big-screen "The Deep" film from 1977, I always thought his performance in this miniseries was his best performance.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by younger1968
You can find out about plot with or without my posting my reading the tv.com and/or different sites. I was just stating the flow and how it was very good and difference between book 1 and book 2.

Well then for the people who haven't read about it at those sites and are just reading this thread. Honestly, is it so hard to put up a SPOILER WARNING when revealing significant plot points?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks