What's new

Rhino SUCKS - GI Joe “not a high priority” release. (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So if Paramount is going to be retaining licensing rights to both Sunbow and Hasbro's animated libraries, does this mean TV sets of which we've already purchased through Rhino (G.I. Joe, Transformers, etc) are going to be reissued? I certainly hope not!

Also, can anyone confirm exactly what properties Hasbro currently owns rights to? Are any of the Marvel series (Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends, Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk, Marvel Action Universe, etc) in their library or does Disney hold exclusive license to those?

The good news about Paramount gaining rights to the Sunbow series, is that we might finally see "Bucky O'hare" released to DVD as well as a R1 set for "Visionaries". Hopefull a special edition of "G.I. Joe: The Movie" as well as that 2-disc "Transformers: The Movie" set we've been hearing Rhino speak on for over a year now.

I believe, though not 100% certain, that Hasbro holds license to the following series as well: Dungeons And Dragons, Defenders Of The Earth & The Glo Friends.

What I don't understand however, is why Rhino has just recently announced a Complete Season 1 Box Set for "My Little Pony" if Paramount will be recovering distribution rights in only a couple of months? Do they plan on pushing out the entire series with all the specials and movie in that short time?

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
That's just not right to all of us who have been loyal to Rhino and supported them by buying these sets. I don't care so much that they split the seasons into 2 parts, but I want the complete series this year.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Woot! Conan: The Adventurer is a Sunbow series that Rhino said they wouldn't release. Now there may be hope. :)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
It really is a shame that Rhino didn't just bring out the whole Season Two, as it would have only been a few more episodes than Season One Part Two. Their pricing policy is similar to Universal's and HBO's in that they seem to put the same price on a set regardless of the number of episodes contained. Very annoying.

On the other hand, at least there have been one and a half seasons and quite a few total episodes released, which is more than you get for a lot of series. Rhino has been one of the few studios committed to getting 1980s cartoon series out on DVD. Will Paramount continue this policy? Hopefully they will expand on it as some of you hope, but there aren't any guarantees.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I hope so, since Rhino screwed them up the first time around (by using incomplete versions of episodes, adding in extra sound effects and not including the original audio tracks, etc.)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
They did such a good job with Transformers, it is a shame that they are going to ruin all the good will they built up by putting G.I. Joe on the backburner and possibly not see it through to completetion because it is going to cost them customers.

Paul

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes it's a good idea to keep an open mind, and not take everything you read as fact.

I sent the comments to my friend at Rhino, here's their response:

Hope that helps,
Gord

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I have the originals on tape and I prefer the DVD versions, I think the audio enhancements are a remarkable improvement over the original sounds.

Paul

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Forgive me for interrupting, but what will this mean for "Jem And The Holograms?"

Rhino recently announced Season 3, Part 1...Will we get the second part of season 3 or will I have to go through fan-to-fan channels to get it?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Yes, I am a "Jem!" fan, despite possessing testicles.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit

Excellent news. This at least is an explanation for milking us for an extra $50. Hopefully, the "extra special" something will be something cool (like commercials).

mike.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
If they are planning something special, that is good news, and then I really jumped the gun earlier. Maybe they're going to throw in another action figure like they did for the miniseries?

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Bravo to you, John Kilduff, for admitting to being a male Jem fan. You, in the spirit of G.I. Joe, are a real American hero.

I (as a female fan of G.I. Joe and Jem) was worried about the future of Jem as well when I read this thread. But since it looks like Rhino will be completing the second half of the second season, it bodes well for their completing their other series too. If they include some really cool extras on the second half of the season two set for G.I. Joe, it will do a lot to compensate for their pricing policy.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the post Gord. I'm glad that someone with a friend on the inside is keeping an eye on this. I'm really looking forward to completing my GI Joe set. This cartoon along with Transformers defined my childhood in the early and mid '80s. I have very fond memories of aggravating the school bus driver to go faster so I could get home in time to watch cartoons after school. ;) And Marco, glad to know I'm not the only one who remembers Visionaries. I got the series on cd-roms through fan-to-fan channels and boy would I like to get them on dvd since the video quality can get pretty atrocious. Also, like John, count me in as another Jem fan with a pair! :b I can't resist my '80s cartoons. :D

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Part of the confusion here is that Rhino *is* owned by Warner Music Group, which was bought from Time Warner earlier this year. Although Warner Music Group is now a privately held independent company, it retained the Warner name, which is why some might confusingly think that it still is part of the Time Warner empire (which no longer uses "AOL" in its name).

Just an FYI...

Brian-C

Grip
I have a question, I hope someone can answer me with.

I was beginning to watch part one of season one of GI Joe, and saw that the first few episodes were "The Further Adventures of GI Joe"

I remember as a kid, that back in the 80s, this was the 2nd TV movie, and was wondering, what ever happened to the episodes (or TV movie) that happened before this? the episodes, where Snake-Eyes met his canine companion and rescued it from an animal trap, which is the only scene I remember, but do remember it being a multi-part series as well. Is it further along the DVD collection, in another, or has yet to be released?

Those 2 mini-series (10 episodes in total) have been released in a set called "G.I. Joe: The Complete Miniseries". There was limited edition including an action figure as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.