What's new

RF-7s, RC-7 and STR-DB830... (1 Viewer)

Sebastien David

Second Unit
------------------------------------------------------------
UNIMPORTANT PART
Hi guys, I'm new here, only discovered this place recently, but I've been hanging out at the Klipsch forum for a long time so I'm not exactly a newbie.
Alright, here's the story: I want to buy new speakers. My budget is kind of limited, but I get equipment at cost since I work in an electronics store which happens to sell Klipsch and Denon, among others. If and when I buy speakers, I want it to be a definitive purchase that won't leave me with a need/want to upgrade for a looooong time.
That is why I was looking to buy the Klipsch RF-7s. What I like: they're big, they're loud, and they have A LOT of impact. oh, and they're quite good-looking too. plus they won't leave me hungry for more speaker for a long time.
what I'm not so sure about: they could be too bright, especially with the receiver I have right now.
And that is the main issue. My trusty Sony STR-DB830 has plenty of power to drive the efficient Klipsch, that much I know. What I don't know, however (it might seem weird but I don't have a lot of opportunities to audition/compare equipment since my particular store doesn't carry the more expensive stuff) is whether my eardrums will be destroyed by that setup. Getting a new receiver NOW is out of the question completely, as my budget is too tight for that. I want to buy two front speakers and the center, as I feel those three are the most important to be matched. I don't feel the need to upgrade the rears beacuse of the limited (in amount and in nature) of the sound that comes out of them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sounds coming out of the rears are so brief or undefined, and our ears so unprecise when listening to things in the back, and we're so distracted by the much bigger stuff that happens in the front that we can't tell the difference between good and really good rear speakers. so for now, my fronts are going to the rear and that's it.
IMPORTANT PART
Now all that leaves me with a couple of options:
-buy the RF-7/RC-7 now, forget about the receiver, and upgrade later on, thereby liquidating me of any financial means for the next few months
-wait it out until i can buy a Denon (which model? 3802? 2802? 4802?) and the Klipsch together
-pretend i wouldn't hear a difference in the sound, forget about the whole thing entirely and buy a car
-or consider another setup (Energy or other maybe?) that would work better with the receiver I have now and allow me to invest in more worthwhile things before having to change the receiver
Remember, I want impact for home theater, music comes second and i want impact for music too anyways. I can get Klipsch, Energy, System Audio, Axiom, Kef, or Jamo speaker at cost, as well as Denon, Onkyo or Sony receivers. I wouldn't want to go with Paradigm for ex., as I wouldn't be getting even close to as good a deal.
Thanks!
-Seb

Sebastien David

Second Unit
oh, and it'd be great if anyone had any info about the following speakers:

Sony SS-C510AV

those are the ones i have in front right now, and surprisingly, they sound pretty good. but i have no clue what they used to retail for, or in what kind of lineup they were in the Sony stuff, etc...

-Seb

Ken Leggatt

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Seb,

Suprised it took you so long to find this place!

I think that you wouldn't be making a mistake picking up the RF-7's. You can't go wrong with them, I spent some time listening to them and was very impressed with the sound that they produced. I found them to be quite laid back, as far as Klipsch goes, and very dynamic. I find Paradigm speakers to be as bright as the Klipsch refernce series so I do not know why people keep saying Klipch are harsh. As far as the amp goes, I think that you will enjoy the set up until you can get enough money together to get a Denon. I purchased the RF-3's, RC-3 and RS-3's and ran them off of a Technics SA-AX7 for about a year and they were not harsh at all. I think that the DB series of Sony would probably sound better. Get the speakers now, get the Denon 4802 later, or if you don't get enough of a deal the 3802. Only problem is you will probably be itching to get rid of the PW-2200! I don't think that it will keep up with the RF-7's!

Later.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
get rid of my trusty old box?

never!

but adding another sub would be an option... not right now though, as the room i'm in is still pretty small anyways and the sub rattles everything quite properly thank you!

thanks for the answer!

-Seb

PascalC

Agent
Seb can you give your cost price (please) for

Denon 2802

Klipsch SF-1 and SF-2

Klipsch CC-1

Klipsch SS-1

I bet you work for Dumoulin!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks