What's new

Review: Daewoo DVD-5700. RCE free/PAL to NTSC for $100? Absolutely! (1 Viewer)

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Is there anyplace else other than Sam's Club to get one of these? Unfortunately, I am a Costco member, and have not seen them there, and I cant seem to find the 5700 on the net, just the 5800. Thanks in advance for any info

Brad_V

Second Unit
I think Amazon.com was selling the 5700 for 100-109, which is still good, but then there's shipping on top of that unless you can find an online coupon somewhere.
I'd just go to Sam's Club and tell the person at the door that you will get a membership there as long as they have the Daewoo 5700. I'm sure they'd let you go look. A membership is only like 15 bucks, and the 5700 should be selling at all Sam's for $89 right now, and even with $15 more on it that is a steal for such a great (albeit kind of ugly) player.
And then you can buy 600-minute phone cards there for under 20 bucks and be able to cancel your regular long distance, too! I got a telemarketer last week...
"Sir, we would like you to switch to our long-distance company."
"I don't think you can beat what I pay now."
"We can do 7.9 cents a minute for the first three months...."
"Thanks, but I only pay 3.4 cents a minute."
"Wow, sir, that's really cheap...."
haha. :)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I am looking for a budget DVD player for my sister. I was thinking about getting a Daewoo 5700. If memory serves I remember seeing one at Target for $99. I plan to stop by and see what they got.

The review for this DVD player sounds very favorable. I was wondering how stable this DVD player is? Many budget DVD players have a hard time decoding some disk. I have a SAMPO DVE-611 that is horrible with some disk. I have recently sent it back to SAMPO for repair. One thing about SAMPO is they are very good about warrantee repair. The 611 has a known problem with the DVD drive causing skipping. The replacement drives are 100% stable.

I know with budget players you are going to loose some picture quality and features but they should be able to play DVDs with out skipping or freezing. Problem is many do have problems.

Chris

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Chris -

If you remember any specific discs, I can try them out if I have them.

-Dave

GregK

Screenwriter
At my local Sam's Club, the Daewoo 5700 has now been

replaced with the Daewoo 5800.

My 5700 seems to play all of my DVDs fine, but I

have not done extensive testing. ..One Universal

DVD did not play, but when I re-inserted the disc

it then played fine.

Brad_V

Second Unit
I know with budget players you are going to loose some picture quality and features but they should be able to play DVDs with out skipping or freezing.
I dunno... even the cheap players now (except for maybe Oritron) have very good picture quality that 95+% of people couldn't tell the difference compared to a player that costs two or more times as much anyway. DVD players have reached the point where even the cheap ones are good. The remote was terrible on it, but even the Rowa I had for awhile from Sears was pretty nice for $90.
For me, most of the big-names ($) sometimes can't even play cd-r VCD, and won't even touch SVCD format, or even mp3 half the time, for that matter, so depends on what "features" you mean. My friend's dad got a 3-disc JVC for Christmas, and I TOLD him to exchange it for something else because it can't play all the formats, but he didn't, so now when I make SVCDs and want to give him one to watch, I have to re-encode it as an inferior VCD.
I haven't read many comments on the Daewoo 5800 as of yet, but I hope it doesn't lose the great things the 3000s, 5000s, and 5700s were known for. For 100 bucks, any of those three are easily a top choice. The 3-disc Apex 5131 also kicks ass. How did I ever live without a 3-disc changer? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks