What's new

Reuter's reporting "good info" on X-box price drop :) (1 Viewer)

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
""About time"? It's been out, what six months?"

Heh Heh Heh.... maybe my smiley face wasn't enough to display sarcasm.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
If the Xbox price drop does happen, what about the Xbox owners who paid full price for it(like me)?
If the GameCube followed suit and dropped their price, would you expect them to take care of earlier adopters? What about the PS2? All I got to say is "Good things happen to those who wait". I almost bought an XBox for Christmas, but my wife would not let me (I have a one year old Playstation). I will thank her if the price drops. It would be cool to "kill two birds with one stone" at a $199 price point as I am in the market for both a superior video game console and a 3rd DVD player. The PS2 seems to have won the first battle of the console war because they came to market first almost a year before the XBox and the Cube. Also the value of the "Playstation" brand name recognition can not be overestimated. I tend to only buy 5-10 games a year, so the number of XBox titles is sufficient for me at this time.

I think the price drop of the PS2 and XBox definitely would hurt the Cube. Right now the Cube benefits enormously from a $100 price advantage. The article says Nintendo may not offer a price reduction until later in the year. If the GC price is lowered by only $50, its price advantage over its competitors is cut by half, which is huge considering it is the only one not offering DVD capability. In conclusion, I think if more than one console manufacturer lowers its price soon, it confirms that "three is a crowd" in the console market.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe...
I just got a Gamecube... that's my life Gotta get an X-box for Halo and DOA3. Then a PS/2 for Final Fantasy etc... good god, this month is gonna be expensive... there are no big DVD buys this month are there? :D No Harry Potter or anything.... Do they still buy blood?
Jim

Ron Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
Does it seems more likely that they'll announce a price drop for the fall, rather than drop the price immediately?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Nope, Ron, as doing so will likely cause a drop off in sales in the shortterm - they may announce it for a few weeks in advance, but I highly doubt it will be more than that.

Mind you, if a price drop is to come in to effect 'immediately', I'm sure retailers will have been briefed before the announcement.

Frederick

Second Unit
If that's the case, our dear friend Camp may know more info about all of this. Has anyone noticed he's been absent from this conversation? Come on, Camp. I know you're out there. Tell us what you know :) ...
Freddy C.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
That article is financial speculation. That guy is involved with NEITHER company, and has no inside information whatsoever. I for one highly doubt that a price cut will occur in NA less than a year after the system debut. When I see an MS press release, then I'll be a believer.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I for one highly doubt that a price cut will occur in NA less than a year after the system debut.
I think you'll be suprised. Sony have said they'll be reviewing their prices around E3. The others, especially Microsoft, can't afford to be dearer than the PS2.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
It appears Sony will not lower the price of the PS2 any time soon. As long as the PS2 continues to comfortably outsell both the GC and XBox, why should it lower the price?Link Removed

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Perhaps this turn of events will give them more incentive to drop the price in America and (especially) Japan.
Microsoft Corp. today reported a sizeable increase in sales of its Xbox™ video game system throughout Europe as customers have enthusiastically embraced the recent price reduction. Now available in Europe for an estimated street price of €299 ($272 U.S.), the award winning Xbox is the most powerful video game system on earth. With 40 games currently available in Europe (65 in the U.S.) and more than 150 to be available by Christmas, Xbox is the only video game console designed for the future of gaming with a built-in hard drive and broadband adapter.
Since the European price reduction took effect April 26, weekly sales are running neck-and-neck with PlayStation 2. Based on week-to-week sales since launch, Xbox represents 49% of the next generation console market in the United Kingdom1, 46% in France and 55% in Germany2.
The entire story (and spin) ;) can be found here:
http://www.xboxgamers.com/newspro/fu...0878171,22053,

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Lies, damned lies etc.
What Microsoft fail to say with "49% of the market" is that was for the /one week/ before the GameCube launch. I'd love to see them spin their market percentage for the week the GC launched :)

Frederick

Second Unit
Ok, Camp. Message received :) ...
Being a member of the multi-system club, a possible price drop won't help me (unless early adopters get a free game or something ;) ), but I know quite a few people who'd jump at a $200 XBox. Hell, even a $250 XBox is less painful than $300. I want the price to drop so that everyone can enjoy a next-gen system. I want us all to be able to buy whatever 5-star game for whatever system it comes out on.
Freddy C.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks