What's new

Reuter's reporting "good info" on X-box price drop :) (1 Viewer)

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw on Anandtech.com's forum that May 20th, MS will drop X-box to $199. Yeehaw.. Cause you know that Sony will follow suit. I see a new X-box and PS/2 for me :)
[edit - link] Read it here...
Jim

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I already have an X-Box but at that price I'd be seriously tempted to add a PS2 to my rack.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, Apr, May.... ya think by next november, it'll be competeting with the Dreamcast for pricing?
Jim:D

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
It's about time the Xbox came down to the Gamecube price
Ugh...

You know... For what you are getting in the X-Box, you are getting a bargain at $299. If it drops to $199 or $249, people are crazy if they don't buy it... The PS2 will be about the same price, so you are still getting a better system (hard drive, ethernet, better graphics/sound) for the money.

And the home theater implications of the X-Box are so much better than the PS2... I know... I have owned both...

If the gamecube drops in price, however, I will be very tempted to pick one up... RE is sounding pretty nice...

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Uh-oh. I sold my XBOX to a member on this forum a while back when I didn't think I would have the time to play with it. I've been kicking myself in the ass ever since. At $199, I think a second XBox is in my future.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
What are the big Xbox titles coming up this year? Anyone know of the hot upcoming ones?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If anything, it's "about time" that the PS2 has dropped in price. It's been at $299 for a long time...

Anyone remember how long it took the PSX for it's first price drop?

-Dave

Eric Nees

Agent
The original Playstation droped it's price from $300 to $200 one year after it came out, to compete with the N64 which was priced at $250 (which Nintendo then droped to $200 in time for launch).

Dan B

Screenwriter
I could see MS dropping the price in Japan to spur sales, but I'd be genuinely shocked to see them drop the price in North America so soon.

-Dan

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Thank god I saw this thread. I was ready to pay the 3 bills but wasn't going to be able to get much use out of the XBOX until June 1st anyway due to work requirements. Now, I get a kick ass system for 2 bills and a DVD player in my bedroom to boot!!!

Yeeehaw!!!

If the Xbox price drop does happen, what about the Xbox owners who paid full price for it (like me)? Will there be some sorta deal like in Europe where we get some freebies? It would only be fair :frowning:

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
At that price point I'll be picking up both a PS2 (impending drop after the X-box) and an X-box probably in a month. However, I do have a difficult time with the "$299 is a bargain for the X-box hardware" argument that gets tossed around here so often. No one in their right mind would ever question the hardware capability, it's the software that has prevented greater adoption by the public.

In today's marketplace, the PS2 trounces everyone in software -- which is why it still sells at a $299 price point, despite "inferior" technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks