What's new

'RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD' dvd aspect ratio wrong? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The reason I ask is because I was just over at the IMDB browsing the user comments area, and someone mentioned that 'ROTLD' was filmed for 1.37:1 so that Dan O Bannon could save money!?:confused:
I don't know how accurate this info is, but the more I think about it, the more it makes no sense, I mean how is it costing more money to simply compose for 1.85:1 within the frame, and providing instructions for the proper matting when the prints reach the theater? It shouldn't really cost any additional money right? I tried doing a search for this films AR, but turned up nothing.
I know that the dvd coming out is going to be anamorphic, and presented at 1.85:1, THAT seems more accurate to me. Anybody know if what this guy said is true? I don't think it is though, at least I hope it's not, or the dvd will be in the wrong aspect ratio!:eek:

C

Christina_V

There was another thread about this awhile back and someone who had worked on the film put it all to rest by stating that the OAR was 1:85!!!
Of course some people where to ignorant to believe him & tryed to argue that it was'nt correct. Reminds me of when another person posted that the AR of the Nightmare on Elm Street dvd was in the wrong AR,when that was false.
Still i can't wait for the dvd release. Tihs is one of my #1 all time favorites. I even have the soundtrack which rules!
note......looks like you beat me to it Adam,lmao,thanks!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Adam, yeah, I remember him posting in that thread, but I couldn't remember exactly what he said. Thanks.
I thought their was something screwy about what that guy said.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Christina, I can't wait for this one either! It's one of my all time favorite horror/comedies. It's nice to know that we'll be getting it in it's proper AR, and anamorphic to boot!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well, in my efforts to get "Return of the Living Dead" on DVD, I've spoken with several people from the film, including Jules Brenner, the director of photography and like others in this thread have said, he confirmed the film was shot in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. He told me he was surprised people just assumed this and that it all could've been cleared up if someone had just simply e-mailed him.
I asked Jules to post here at HTF and to correct the information at IMDB.com so the confusion would cease.
Check out my sig for my "Return of the Living Dead" DVD page to help make this year's DVD release a special edition! (I also have my interview with Jules Brenner on there to read!)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Micheal, thanks for your response. I followed the link to your site, great site BTW:emoji_thumbsup:, and have now done my part in tryng to get this SE dvd out. Here's to hoping for the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks