What's new

"Retail price" dropping after a set amount of time? (1 Viewer)

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
I was doing a search for the best price on "ER - season 2" and found that most etailers were selling it for over $40, but BestPrices.com had it for under $30. And when I looked more closely, I noticed that while Amazon.com had the retail price at $59.99, BestPrices.com had the retail price at $39.99. And so I was wondering if the retail price has actually dropped, and if so, if there is a set practice of dropping the retail price after a certain amount of time.

John McM

Second Unit
I think TV sets should do the same as movie sets do. I know some fans will say it's unfair because of what they forked over the first time out... but, how many times have we spent $15-20 on a movie when originally released on DVD, only to find it become a regular mainstay on Best Buy's "$2 for $15" specials? I think same should happen to tv sets after so many months.

Friends was a great example. It sold okay at a $69.99 price-point, but when Warner dropped the price to $39.99 (making it around $30 at most outlets), many people who held back initially went out and bought the set.

There are shows out there I'd like to check out but am holding out in case the retail eventually drops.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I've generally seen prices go up, unless there's a special deal.

For instance, when I was trying to get Buffy season one about a year after it came out, it took me three Wal-Marts before I could find it at the original low price of $30. Everyone else had jumped it up to $33-35, or were the stores where you have to be an idiot to buy a DVD because they overcharge by about $20 on everything.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I wish some sets would drop in price. Star Trek: TNG and DS9 are still expensive despite being out for a while.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
The best you can do is shop around as Chip said above. When you find, through either HTF or TV Shows on DVD.com the release date for something you want, check around.

My personal litmus test for new releases, (and there are probably those of you out there with better sources,) is to check Amazon.com Wal Mart and Fry's.

For product that has been out for a while, again, Amazon.com is a pretty good source. I've had great luck in buying used disks on Amazon, and even new product at a lower price than Amazon's. HOWEVER, keep your b.s. detector on full power. I found what I thought was a great deal on the DS9 season 1 set, Paul.

Brand new, factory sealed from an outlet in China, the only difference is that there is some Chinese lettering on the box. The set was listed at $30.00.

My jaw hit the floor, but my b.s detector went nuts. I e mailed Ron Epstein and asked if there was a way I could post the information, and ask for input from the other HTF members as to whether I had found a great deal or a ballsy bootlegger using a legit site.

Unfortunately, ballsy bootlegger. :thumbsdown:

No sale!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks