What's new

Reservoir Dogs SE Screen Shots (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I saw this over at the AVS Forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=160085
The aspect ratio is slightly different than the earlier release and the colors look washed out. I sincerely hope that the DVD looks better than this when I get it.
Perhaps they shouldn't have worried so much about how many different covers they could make and put a little more effort into the transfer.
Matt

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
F**K

I was really looking forward to top quality anamorphic transfers of my fave 4 Tarantino flicks, now I have to put up with washed out crap.

Let's hope the other 3 Spec Eds coming are much better.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Damn, those screen caps of the new transfer are horrible. I am glad I have held onto my original release of this film. I am also unsure which one has the correct framing. The framing on the new release just doesn't look right and the framing on the original looks like it could be improved by just a hair.
I am so confused. :confused:
-Dean-

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't other Super35 films been re-framed when released on DVD? Did Tarantino have anything to do w/ this (apparently) new transfer?

I'm going to hold judgement until more reviews start showing up..I just really have a hard time believing that a new anamorphic transfer will look worse than a non 16x9 disc from a few years ago

~Jason

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Well, Robert George's reviews and knowledge of the technical side of DVD are held in very high regard. His findings are going to be just the beginning of the negative reviews coming out. I guarantee it.

-Dean-

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The old transfer was the same transfer used for the LD, and at the time, it was highly praised. I was watching the LD the other day, and it is very nice looking. I wanted to get this DVD, but if it looks like this, I might cancel my order.

Neil

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Looks like they should have spent some more time on the transfer and less on making 5 different versions of the packaging to correspond with different members of the gang.
Looks like another case of marketing and garbage taking precedence over quality of content.
:thumbsdown:

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
There is no way i'm making the upgrade if it looks like that, Rob even says there are no 'true' blacks to be seen in the transfer. I see a lot of disappointed customers in the coming weeks, myself included. Why did Artisan think it was necessary to focus on releasing 5 or so different covers instead of focusing on the technical aspects of the release. I would like to hear some opinions on the audio side of things now.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Looks like they should have spent some more time on the transfer and less on making 5 different versions of the packaging to correspond with different members of the gang.
Indeed. What a wasted opportunity. And the covers still look like crap.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I think I may cancel my preorder on this one. Hopefully Artisan will get enough negative feedback so they will do something about it. It's doubtful, though. I would hate for one of those silent recalls after I bought it already.
Matt

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Well, so much for that pre-order... I'll hold off at least until I see some other reviews.
I have the original Live disc, so it won't kill me to do without the new one. But I'm still disappointed to hear that Artisan (dare one say "as usual"?) haven't paid much attention to the quality of the transfer.
Grrrrrr.
doug

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I still have my Pre-Order down until I see some more reviews pop up, but I would still trust Robert on this one.

And the covers still look like crap.
Absolutely, Rob - and I still can't believe they went to the trouble of creating so many covers for this release.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Hard for me to believe this.

Maybe he just got a preview copy and not the final product.

Doesnt make any sense.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Crap!!!! I love this film even more than Pulp Fiction, and I was really looking forward to this release, so I could finally let go of my bare-bones, non-anamorphic copy (which was one of the very first discs I bought when I bought my first DVD player)! Maybe Quentin's been too busy obsessing over Kill Bill to pay any attention to this release.... Sucks. Maybe we should've cornered him at the last Studio Day and extracted a blood oath to make this release as good as it could've been (which doesn't seem to be close to what it actually is, based on Obi's sneak peek).

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I'll still be picking up the damned thing albeit begrudgingly now. I've waited for a SE of Reservoir Dogs ever since they announced the LD 7 years ago or so. This sucks...I hope we can hear something from Artisan on this one.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Man, I just can't believe it.

That's honestly bad enough to make me consider skipping the purchase. What a letdown.

The new transfer looks like we are looking through gauze at the picture. And I agree with Obi that I'm not sure the new framing is right either. He might be on to something regarding the sources for the 2 transfers.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Just like everyone else, I've got the Artisan version, and while it's okay, I was really looking forward to the SE. Lets hope that something isn't right with the version that Obi got, and that the real release will be okay. Fortunately, I haven't sold my Artisan version just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.